Need Help Identifying An Old (1963?) Mercury Outboard

Ryan87LX

Seaman Apprentice
I recently purchased a 1964 Power Cat 15T that came with an old Mercury outboard. I was told that the motor is a 1963 850, but I'm starting to think this may be incorrect.

For one, the cowl and front cover are from an 800 - I was told that these were just swapped on because the originals were damaged. The serial number on the mount is 1589265, which does suggest that the engine is a 1963 850. However, I purchased a parts manual for the 850 and at first glance, my fuel pumps and fuel lines are different than what is pictured (the pumps are the same, but the fuel line routing is different).

Is there a serial number located on the engine block somewhere that I could check to confirm the identity of this engine?

Thanks In Advance,

Ryan

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Need Help Identifying An Old (1963?) Mercury Outboard

Ryan;

Presumably this is a 6 cylinder? Do you see a s/n located on the block where the base of the distributor is attached and if so does ti match the s/n you have, 1589265?

Gerry

Ryan87LX

Seaman Apprentice

Yes it is a six cylinder. I will check that location for a serial number, thanks!

Ryan87LX

Seaman Apprentice

Hmm. Actually, I don't see a serial number near there. Could it be somewhere else?

Ryan87LX

Seaman Apprentice

Looks the same to me. Thanks for your help.

emckelvy

Commander

This site has a picture of the motor, along with parts available:

http://store.oldmercs.com/category_s/822.htm

Is there a name cast into the Starboard side of the powerhead, forward of the rectangular intake transfer port covers? If there is, that could help us pin down the model. Merc named a lot of their old powerheads, examples are "Marathon", "Tiger", "Panther", "Typhoon" etc. If recall the bigger Inline 6 block was a "Tiger".

The '63 850 was approx 90 cubic inches; there was an oddball 76 c.i. 850 if I recall, but the first 76 c.i. motor was an 80hp. Long time ago I had an old 76 c.i. 800 that I fixed up and sold.

A few years ago I went for a ride with my buddy Thom "aka Dr. Frankenmerc" in a tahiti-style ski boat powered by one of those, it actually went pretty good. But I do recall my old 90 c.i. motors as having a lot more guts.

Last fall picked up an early 90 c.i. 850, looks like it'll be a good one to restore.

HTH & Have Fun with yours...........ed