red band 20-25hp

white95v6

Cadet
i am thinking about buying a 69-71 red band. the person that has it says it will run if you spray starting fluid.he thinks the fuel pump is bad.

anyways i got a few questions.

1. how much you guys think its worth.
2. how much is a fuel pump rebuild
3. if its carb how much are they or how much is a rebuild kit for it.

thanks
matt

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: red band 20-25hp

Mercury didn't make a 25 until the 1980s so it's likely the 20hp model.

Starting on starter fluid is BAD! Can kill a motor in short order by rinsing all lubrication from internal surfaces.

Many parts can be gotten through Merc dealers. Check with some of the online sources like Crowley Marine, Mercruiser Parts, etc. for websites with parts listings with diagrams. Listings are by serial number so have that handy.

hawgslayer75

Recruit

Rebuild kits will run about $60.00 for all as to the value I dont know it just depends on what your willing to pay for it .

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

For a non-running Merc of that vintage, no more than $100. Figure you'll have to give it a tune-up as even though it may run you'll still probably have to put points in it, a waterpump impeller, and inspect lower unit seals & shafts (known issue with Mercs of that era - carbon steel shafts prone to rust). Depending on which year it is, it may have traditional magneto (coils under flywheel) or the pricey low-tension magneto (coils on back of powerhead). If the electronic "donut" of the low tension mag gives up the ghost, new ones are priced at more than the motor is worth...

white95v6

Cadet

Mercury didn't make a 25 until the 1980s so it's likely the 20hp model.

Starting on starter fluid is BAD! Can kill a motor in short order by rinsing all lubrication from internal surfaces.

Many parts can be gotten through Merc dealers. Check with some of the online sources like Crowley Marine, Mercruiser Parts, etc. for websites with parts listings with diagrams. Listings are by serial number so have that handy.

yes i know starting fluid is bad on a 2-stroke.

also i will ask about the location of the coils. thanks for a info.

Mi duckdown

Commander

What Chinewalker, Posted. Carbon steel shafts can be fixed. but it will cost you. be careful