1977 Thunderbolt 850, engine died at idle, wont restart....HELP!

kevblac

Cadet
I had been running the boat off and on all day, we were getting ready to run home on the last trip of the day. I started the engine and was untieing from the dock. the engine was running fine at idle. all at once, the engine sputtered once and died. I tried to restart but it just cranked. I started smelling fuel. Thought maybe I had flooded it. I let it sit for a few minutes and tried to restart again. Acted like it wanted to start but only if I choked it. After severel minutes of failed attempts, the engine finally started but wouldnt stay running, died whithin a few seconds. I managed to get it to start a couple more times but everytime I tried to give it gas to keep it running it sounded like it was starving for fuel and would then die. It wont idle either and dies when I try to feed in fuel. Also, the whole time it smells of gas. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks guys!

phebus1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1977 Thunderbolt 850, engine died at idle, wont restart....HELP!

Stuck float? I would remove cowl and see if I saw any fuel dripping from around carbs

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Check ball is hard.Check fuel lines for cracks,leaks and loose connections.Could be carbs(stuck float,dirty,worn needles).

kevblac

Cadet

I will be checking the ball and fuel lines today. I will let you guys know what I find. Thanks!

kevblac

Cadet

ok, Ive checked the ball it pumps up an stays hard. I removed everything down to the carbs and checked all fuel lines, no leaks or raw fuel collecting anywhere...it does not however smell like fuel anymore an not sure why. I used the manuel choke at about half an the engine fired up and started running. as soon as it was running I pushed the choke all the way in. It ran great for about 2 minutes then it died and the problem started all over again. I tried to restart it the same way and it wont start. Im right back to square one.....what gives?