water leaking from cylinder 1/2 and 3

shalla01

Recruit
Hi could anyone help i have a old mercury inline 6 and have water leaking from the threads on the spark plugs. Cylinder 1 is the worst. Is it just a gasket that needs replacing ??????? also would this make it hard to start ????? IT takes about 10 attemps before it fires. any help would be greatly recived
cheers
steve.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: water leaking from cylinder 1/2 and 3

I don't think it's anything other than a cover gasket leak. I'm not even sure if your motor has a cylinder head that will unbolt. I would take off the cover and replace the gasket. IF it starts at all, you can be sure that the water is not coming from the spark plug threads---it just appears to. IF it's hard to start, it is probably either your starting procedure, or the choke plates are not closing fully. I have never owned a tower of power, so keep that in mind, but I do hear that they need lots of fuel to start cold, and it helps to give it lots of choke on a cold startup and to make sure you pump the primer bulb before starting to fill the float bowls fully.
JBJ

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

JBJ is correct. Water is coming around the spark plug threads, from the water jacket. The head is not removeable. Use some silicone around the spark plug bases (not on the threads), to seal it until you decide if/when you want. Those 1/4-20 bolts that hold on the waterjacket cover can break real easy, so the replacement of the gasket can be a real B*&^h

shalla01

Recruit

THANKS GUYS HAVE STARTED TO REMOVE PLATE AND GUESS WHAT HAVE SNAPPED A BOLT, *B-----KS*.. REALLY HAVE TO REMOVE THE THE ENGINE KNOW AS THERE ARE TWO BOTTOM BOLTS I CANNOT UNDO AS PART OF THE COVER IS IN THE WAY. WHAT FUN.WILL KEEP YOU POSTED.:mad::facepalm:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Shalla, look on the backside of the head, where the water jacket cover bolts would come thru. Some mercs have captive nuts. Some have places to put nuts. If the bolts break, you may be able to drill thru the casting and use thru bolts to hold cover on.