late 60s 50 hp red band merc [ignition problem?]

jtjt

Seaman Apprentice
just got a late 60s 50hp red band merc, i got it from a good friend whos pretty mechanically inclined and says it runs like a top untill it gets warm and then it gets real grumpy, he says he went over it well, carb pulled apart, new plugs, cleaned up all the ignition components, fuel is pumping, compression was good, but still says he thinks its an ignition issue, theres some sort of ignition box bolted to the side with about 4 coloured wires going to it tha he thought might be the issue. any help would really help THX!

jtjt

Seaman Apprentice
Re: late 60s 50 hp red band merc [ignition problem?]

i havent actually run the motor yet myself so im kinda just checking out any info that might be out there, it will go on the stand soon, will keep you posted.

Is it battery cd ignition? switchbox,single coil ,distributor with trigger in it?

Distributor will have 3 wires coming out if it is. Brown black white

Id do spark and compression regardless.

jtjt

Seaman Apprentice

i havent dug to deep into it yet, i havent even run the numbers to find out the exact year i only picked it up like a week and a half ago, i know its a late 60 early 70s thunderbolt 50hp, i got it from a very good friend of mine who said he went over the compression and ignition and it was all good on the stand and even had it running but got very finnicky when it gets warmed up and run for a bit, he said it would stall out and be really hard to start back up again, If it is what your describing what should i be looking for?

jtjt

Seaman Apprentice

it does have three wires coming out of the distributer, and where abouts are the serial numbers located i took a quick look today but it was a little dark and i had no light so i couldnt see much.