Head Gasket or something more sinister? -- 2003 Mercury 75hp 4 stroke

scjakester

Seaman
Hey y'all... I have an '03 Merc with water in the oil (a lot, not just condensation, it is creamy white) and I think the head gasket is blown on the bottom cylinder. You can see where it looks like water was running from the bottom of the head around the gasket on the bottom cylinder. Anyone know what the compression is supposed to be for that motor? Model number 1F75412ZD -- I am going to buy a service manual on Monday, but I'm just curious where its supposed to be.

Compression was:
#172 (#165 after 10 min leak down)
#180 (#177 after 10 min leak down)
#143 (#142 after 10 min leak down)
#129 (#127 after 10 min leak down)

-Jake

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Head Gasket or something more sinister? -- 2003 Mercury 75hp 4 stroke

Jake;

Here is the service manual P/N: 90-858895R1

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/FourStroke/858895r1/cover.pdf

You must have Adobe Acrobat reader installed to use this manual. If you scroll down to the lower part of the opening page, you will see the various engine components in red. Click on the one you want and when the first page opens, click on the "Save As" icon at the top LH corner of the page and you can save it to your computer.

Parts Listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/4858.cfm

Gerry

scjakester

Seaman

Thanks Gerry. I have the factory service manual printed and in a binder now... I am tagging and bagging and all the parts now, I hope to have the head cracked off there sometime tonight. Anyone know a good place online to purchase the gasket kit? -Jake

scjakester

Seaman

thanks again... I am pretty sure its a blown head gasket between the two bottom cylinders. They have about 40-45# drop compared to the two top ones. Either way, the first step (if I am thinking about it right) is to crack the head off there and see what's really going on. Am I on the right track? -Jake

scjakester

Seaman

Are marine head gaskets 2 piece construction? I thought it was kind of odd that it separated into 2 pieces while removing it.... I am going to post some pics in a few minutes...

scjakester

Seaman

Here are some pics... there is an awful lot of salt buildup in the water channels. A buddy of mine is telling me to re-ring it while I am this far in, but I really don't want to go any deeper unless I have to. Should I tear it on down and put new rings in too? Anyway, I'm taking the head and cams to the machine shop tomorrow... if anyone has any tips or advice I'd sure appreciate it...

tear-down-block-1.jpg

tear-down-block-2.jpg

tear-down-head-before-machine-work-1.jpg

tear-down-head-before-machine-work-2.jpg

tear-down-head-gasket-1.jpg

tear-down-head-gasket-2.jpg

ticondo46

Seaman Apprentice

Pity you kept the rags in cylinders N? 2 and 3, it would have been great to compare! However, the looks of cylinder N? 1 are pretty bad in my opinion. A lot of oil has passed those rings. To me, it looks as if this motor has hit hard times. Maybe the head gasket leaked for a long time, and screwed up your rings (and possibly cylinder bores), or the engine severely overheated at some point in time.

If I were you, I'd really take the whole thing apart and check the bearings, the oil pump etc. for signs of salt water penetration. A head gasket job will only be a stop-gap repair, I fear.

Good luck!

Star

Chief Petty Officer

Hi all,
I don't agree with ticondo's recomndation. If you have 172# in 1 and 180# in 2 your engine's condition is probably fine. No engine that has been overheated or damaged by salt would not give the readings you listed. I had a minor problem with the head gasket on a 15hp 05 four stroke. It took a bit of tinkering to nail it down, but after flattening the head and a new head gasket it is just fine. How many hours do you think you have on this motor. I you have to rebuild an 03 motor how does my 1968 continue to run???

ticondo46

Seaman Apprentice

I hope you are right, but...

Look at those valves. They look pretty badly corroded. They look as if they had a straight diet of salt water. And the difference in color between piston N? 1 and 4 (4 looks great, 1 looks pretty sick) would be (at least for me) a grave cause for concern.

Sjakester, can you let us have a peek at what is under the rags of cylinders 2 & 3?

scjakester

Seaman

Now that I can really look it over in the daylight the pitting on the head is pretty bad. I found two blatantly compromised areas on cylinders #3 & #4 (the two with the lowest compression) and #1 was almost completely through as well. The pitting eroded out a channel underneath the head gasket and allowed water to travel beneath the head gasket and sneak directly between the water jackets and compression chamber in at least 3 places. We found something else kind of interesting, this isn't the original head gasket on the outboard. It has been into at least once before, when we cracked it open, we saw where a technician had marked the head, numbered the head bolts and scored the cam for timing position.This is at least the 2nd time the head needs work.

@Star - I have no idea how many hours are on it there isn't an hour meter and the last owner said he really couldn't even guess at it. I hope you are right! I really do NOT want to go any deeper unless I have to. A buddy is helping me with it, he's a top notch Toyota certified technician, but I get the heebeejeebees thinking about tearing it completely down. I want to keep this at our lake house and use it on the weekends (it will get a lot of use) so I will do whatever I have to do to make it right and make it last a few years dependably, but it creeps me out to think about breaking the crank loose.

@Ticondo - I will pull the rags out and post a few pics of the cylinder walls with the rags out. I don't see/feel any scaring or anything like that, but like you, I worry about the salt having gotten down into the crank case. A lot can go wrong and I have it this far already, it might be worth it to just keep going. My technician buddy is coming over tonight to take a look in the daylight too, we may need to keep going to make it right.

P.S. I hope the iBoats.com folks don't get pissed at me for posting all these pictures! :)

tear-down-head-close-up-1.jpg

tear-down-head-close-up-1a.jpg

tear-down-head-close-up-1b.jpg

tear-down-head-close-up-1c.jpg

scjakester

Seaman

@Star - Here are the pics of the cylinder walls with the oily rags removed. I really appreciate you guys input on it.

cylinder-wall-1.jpg

cylinder-wall-2.jpg

cylinder-wall-3.jpg

cylinder-wall-4.jpg

cylinder-wall-5.jpg

cylinder-wall-6.jpg

ticondo46

Seaman Apprentice

Yikes! This motor has had a very hard time indeeed! Good luck, but as any good family doctor would tell you, all things must come to an end. With a head in that condition, with cylinders like those... Let's see what your Toyota buddy says, and... our prayers are with you!

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Looking at the pics posted a head gasket fix will not last long. The visual salt water corrosion is a indcater of what cannot be seen in the rest of the motor. Time to dig into walet and do a complete rebuild replacing ALL bad parts. Other options are replacing power head with one already rebuilt by reputable builder , or another complete motor. I would check out all options first, then deside wich way to go, as you want it to last for awhile and not have to go thru this again.
Toys always cost $$$,
Oldman570

scjakester

Seaman

My technician buddy came over last night and we spend a few hours BS'n over it and running all the numbers to repair it. Even though it is a 2003 model, and a 4 stroke, and I got free labor, in order to really truly make it right -- it would simply cost more than it's worth. I went through a similar setup in my 20's, learned my lesson and I'm just going to cut my losses on this one. "Project Outboards" are a young man's game.

We're going to part it out on Ebay this weekend and try to recoup part of the cost of my pontoon boat. I appreciate (sincerely) all of your advice. -Jake

ticondo46

Seaman Apprentice

My technician buddy came over last night and we spend a few hours BS'n over it and running all the numbers to repair it. Even though it is a 2003 model, and a 4 stroke, and I got free labor, in order to really truly make it right -- it would simply cost more than it's worth. I went through a similar setup in my 20's, learned my lesson and I'm just going to cut my losses on this one. "Project Outboards" are a young man's game.

We're going to part it out on Ebay this weekend and try to recoup part of the cost of my pontoon boat. I appreciate (sincerely) all of your advice. -Jake

May your motor rest in peace! Wise decision.