mariner 75hp, 2 stroke. cant get the fuel into the engine.......help?

Hi, recently i bought new fuel lines and primimg bulb for our engine and replaced the connector that attaches to the engine itself. when i pump the bulb fuel wont get into the engine. the engine starts when sprayed with easy start into the carbs so its not an engine fault as far as i can see. The bulb is on the right way, the fuel pick up in the fuel tank is clean and unblocked but still the bulb wont go hard and therefore the engine wont start, needless to say that this is making me a little mad. ive tried unpluging the fuel hose from the engine and then pumping the bulb, doing this causes fuel to squirt everywhere so it all seems to all be connected properly

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Chris

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: mariner 75hp, 2 stroke. cant get the fuel into the engine.......help?

Has the engine sat idle for a while? It is possible that the check valve in fuel pump is stuck or inlet needles in the carbs or the fuel line connector is bad.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Unplug the fuel hose connector on the engine, pump the primer bulb, does it get hard now?

If not, the check valve in the bulb is defective, return it.

Hello and yes, the engine sat for about a year (after being winterised)due to having a baby and as the warmer months aproach its time to get things moving again. We had a look at the carbs and all seems fine (not that im qualified to say) but everything works as it should once the engine is running, its just starting from cold seems to be a problem.
We checked all the connectors and all seem fine too.
Its booked in to our local boat yard tomorrow morning as im at the end of my very limited knowledge and dont want to bugger things up. Hopefully its something easy and therefore cheap

Thanks for the advice anyway, Chris

Hello and yes, the bulb pumps fuel as you can feel it happening. But sometimes it sounds like the bulb isnt picking up any fuel from the tank and it just makes a sort of blowing noise instead. But one the engine is started with Easy-Start it will run quite happily so can obviously get the fuel it needs.
Its off to our frindly local boat yard tomorrow morning so hopefully that will be the end of the troubles

Thanks for your advice

Chris