New to boating Mercury 65 hp

scottyisback44

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all. I apologize for being naive to boating. im a snowmobiling guy that is looking to buy a 1972 Mercury outboard motor. My general quwestion is I have a lot of snowmobile 2 stroke oil. Is it safe to run this in an outboard motor? I do not have any more info on the motor yet. I am looking at it on Sunday. Just trying to ask the questions when they pop into my head.

mercuk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New to boating Mercury 65 hp

Should be fine.. No point going out and buying some more 2 stroke oil when you already have some.....
Just make sure you mix it at 50:1 and your good!! :)

merc850

Commander

No it won't be fine - outboard oil has a TCW rating for watercooled engines and it doesn't like sub-zero temps.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

That oil is for air cooled engines, big difference in formulation....

mercuk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

O.k sorry my bad. Go with these guys advice scoty, they probably know a lot me than me in outboard stuff so I bow down to thier superior knowledge.

Just thought you might be able to get away with it but take the good advice given. Look's like its a NO for snowmobile oil then mate.

gwukena

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most snowmobiles are liquid cooled with power outputs that far exceed outboards in hp to displacement ratio. Would it still be unwise to use sled oil in a marine app? Just wondering

scottyisback44

Seaman Apprentice

All of my snowmobiles are liquid cooled. the oil I use is called Legend ZX2R. Its a synthetic 2 stroke oil. The horsepower that the biggest sled puts out is 120 hp and the smallest I run the oil in is 80hp. Im not seeing what the difference in oil would be as long as its mixed at the correct ratio.