Starter motor problem

Eastexn

Cadet
2006 Merc 75 HP 4 stroke, low hours. Starter motor turns very slowly. New HD battery and all connections checked and tight. Even two batteries in parallel will not spin starter. Engaging starter pulls V down to 10V which I suspect is disabling EFI and El Ign. Is this anything but a starter problem?

Thanks

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Starter motor problem

possible solenoid...try jumping it and see if starter spins faster.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Remove the spark plugs and see if you can turn the flywheel all the way around without feeling any 'stiffer' spots.

Then like Sparkie said, grab your trusty jumper cables and jump directly from the battery to the starter motor, does it crank and faster now?

If yes, replace the solenoid.

If no, Remove the starter and disassemble for cleaning and inspection. It could be bad brushes or a shorted armature. Most auto electric shops can rebuild the starter cheaper than ordering a new one. Ask for an estimate to be sure.

Eastexn

Cadet

Thanks guys. I hope you're correct and it's just the solenoid.

The boat is still in the water and I plan on towing it to the ramp and putting it back on the trailer where I can do some serious work on it in a day or two.

I appreciate the help.

Eastexn

Cadet

I removed the starter and sent it to the armature shop here that usually does this repair. They inform me they do not even touch these starters since no parts are available. They are made in Japan and the only option is to replace the starter, which cost $900.

I did find out a aftermarket unit is availaable for $400, which is still a ripoff.

Iv'e owned boats and motors since 1954, and this is the first time I have felt I have been completely ripped off on one. There is no way any Mfg could justify putting a $900 price on a starter of this size, even if it is made in japan. We pay three prices for these engines new and then pay for them over and over in parts for as long as we own them.

I guess I'll go purchase a used 80s-90s model engine that I can still work on and buy parts for.

SparkieBoat

Captain

yea..i feel the same..sold my yammy 2003 4 stroke and got me a good ole carrbed motor..I use to cry about the $150-300 parts for them..but now that seems like chump change..many parts on EFI motors over $1K...ridiculous.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

I checked Merc parts without your serial # and find 2 starters, the highest price FACTORY parts is only $387

Take your serial # and check it out before you start, most shops WILL mark up the price to ridiculous amounts, you can order on-line often saving a bundle.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/mercruiser_parts.asp