Help: 1964 Mercury Kiekhafer 9.8 HP (Merc 110) Intermittent shut off

Tofuminator

Cadet
I acquired an old merc and at first it ran but after not even one hour of total usage it would not start. I had a boat mechanic look at it but I didn't want to proceed after being $150 in the hole for repairs and labor. HEre's what's been done so far:

1. Carberator rebuild kit
2. New fuel hose 3/8 inch and brass fittings for the ends
3. New primer bulb 3/8
4. New plastic gas tank with all the right conversion adapters from West Marine

The mechanic said the fuel can be seen spraying into the carburator when you prime it, but he did not have the tools to check the compression on an older model like this. He gave it back and said a last stride would be to replace the gas tank.

Today, with the new fuel setup I bought. Primed the fuel and the bulb is hard, With choke on and motor in neutral, after close to ten pulls of the rope the motor started and ran for approximately 10-15 seconds.

Repeat, motor will start I placed it in gear and it runs for 15-20 seconds. LOTS of smoke and it seems like the motor sounds like it's gasping for air.

The motor sometimes won't even start after 20 pulls, when it finally does it will just die out after 10 seconds or so. What could be wrong? IS it even worth fixing this motor? There is a Nissan 10 hp 90's model motor for sale for $500 and i'm wondering if I should just buy that as opposed to putting any more money into the OLDMERC....Please any help would be nice.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help: 1964 Mercury Kiekhafer 9.8 HP (Merc 110) Intermittent shut off

I acquired an old merc and at first it ran but after not even one hour of total usage it would not start. I had a boat mechanic look at it but I didn't want to proceed after being $150 in the hole for repairs and labor. HEre's what's been done so far:

1. Carberator rebuild kit
2. New fuel hose 3/8 inch and brass fittings for the ends
3. New primer bulb 3/8
4. New plastic gas tank with all the right conversion adapters from West Marine

The mechanic said the fuel can be seen spraying into the carburator when you prime it, but he did not have the tools to check the compression on an older model like this. He gave it back and said a last stride would be to replace the gas tank.

Today, with the new fuel setup I bought. Primed the fuel and the bulb is hard, With choke on and motor in neutral, after close to ten pulls of the rope the motor started and ran for approximately 10-15 seconds.

Repeat, motor will start I placed it in gear and it runs for 15-20 seconds. LOTS of smoke and it seems like the motor sounds like it's gasping for air.

The motor sometimes won't even start after 20 pulls, when it finally does it will just die out after 10 seconds or so. What could be wrong? IS it even worth fixing this motor? There is a Nissan 10 hp 90's model motor for sale for $500 and i'm wondering if I should just buy that as opposed to putting any more money into the OLDMERC....Please any help would be nice.

Heh, I don't think a mechanic who cannot test compression is much of a mechanic :p. I'd say you start there. Instructions are here and you can usually rent a cheapy compression kit from autozones/advance auto parts/o'reilleys etc for just a deposit. Sounds electrical to me.

Tofuminator

Cadet

Thank you for your suggestions, I've sold the motor to a Certified Mercury Mechanic for $140. My loss is his gain. He brought with him a compression kit and spark kit but on the first pull the motor started so he just handed me the money. We took the lud off and he said the fuel lines were bad and the fuel pump has to be rebuilt along with the carberuter. I looked all this up and on top of the $200 I already spent it would take another $300 to fix it. So now I'm searching for a new motor. Do you think a 12 ft aluminum boat would do well with a 15 hp motor? My boat is heavy because I have platforms all built out on and and a heavy 55 lb trolling motor in the front foot control. Boat.jpg

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

It would definitely push it. Don't have personal experience with a hull like that but it would get you around. You'd have to do some searching on the manufacturer and ratings, but I'm guessing that hull is rated up to 30-35HP maybe? Even a 7.5 is going to push you around. I have a 7.5 HP Merc on a 15'4 Gheenoe and it pushes that around 15-20MPH depending on load. Not quite as much boat as you have there though.