1981 mercury carb ID

root beer guy

Seaman Apprentice
I am shopping around for quotes on repair work, and I need to ID my carb if it needs a tune up. one place has warned me that if the carb (for my year) has black plastic float bowls that I might as well junk it because no kits or parts are available anymore.

how do I tell if it has the black plastic bowls? I am used to working on holley carbs but this is out of my knowledge.

the carb looks brass and is sitting on top of a black plastic mount, but I can't ID the bowls. what area should I be looking?

again, this is a 1981 mercury 25 horse, long shaft, serial number 5813280.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1981 mercury carb ID

I have never seen a early model Mercury carb with the "plastic bowl" only Johnrude had these to my knowledge...

Laddies

Banned

Mercury 18 and 25 HP with Tillotson BC carbs built before serial number 6416712 from 1980 to 83. Belgium built engines used the BC carb with the plastic float bowl.

root beer guy

Seaman Apprentice

thanks guys.

So, I am pretty safe then? I am interpreting by your responses I don't have the out-dated carb, or at least I can still find a gasket kit for the one I have.

hopefully I can get this out of my hair and done soon.

Laddies

Banned

You do have the outdated card as the first link I listed in the other answer shows but there is a gasket kit available from old mercs so you can clean the carb as long as the inlet needle is fuctinal