2001 Mercury 150HP DFI stuck exhaust housing

jgg

Cadet
Can't get the exhaust housing apart from the powerhead, hanging from the crane 3 days now, pry bar and plastic hammer for hours, nothing, it does not move at all. All 10 nuts taked out.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: 2001 Mercury 150HP DFI stuck exhaust housing

Can't get the exhaust housing apart from the powerhead, hanging from the crane 3 days now, pry bar and plastic hammer for hours, nothing, it does not move at all. All 10 nuts taked out.

Aww hell. So you have the powerhead out of the case, and the lower unit off? It is just the exhaust tube that is against the powerhead? The gasket that holds the two together is very sticky, and often gives a hard time splitting it apart. Did you try torching the upper end of the exhaust housing. If so I'd hit it with a propane torch until the gasket gets nice and sticky, and then slowly pry her apart. If you have in fact removed all the screws she should come right apart.....

jgg

Cadet

Thanks for your reply, will try that this afternoon, if does not works 2 trucks maybe the solution to take it apart.

Aww hell. So you have the powerhead out of the case, and the lower unit off? It is just the exhaust tube that is against the powerhead? The gasket that holds the two together is very sticky, and often gives a hard time splitting it apart. Did you try torching the upper end of the exhaust housing. If so I'd hit it with a propane torch until the gasket gets nice and sticky, and then slowly pry her apart. If you have in fact removed all the screws she should come right apart.....

sutor623

Rear Admiral

No prob man. Don't be scared to be a little rough with her...... If all else fails, invert the motor if possible, and pry on the lowermost part of the exhaust housing with your bare hands(the furthest part of exhaust housing from the powerhead) for leverage and she should split a little more easily.

jgg

Cadet

Hey, that is a good idea, will try, thanks.

gwukena

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try jacking the motor off LOL. Put nuts back on most forward studs, use spacers to work between nuts and housing, should be able to back nuts off to apply pressure between nuts and housing, once you get a little gap, at front end, work around powerhead using wooden wedges, if she's been a salt dog, may have to break out the propane torch and apply some heat. PB blaster works great too.

Hope this helps

sutor623

Rear Admiral

You get it off yet?

jgg

Cadet

I try one of those portable torch from Home Depot for about 30 minutes, after that I lay down it in the floor with contact only over 8 inches of wood in the upper powerhead and the lower section of the exhaust, step over the place where both stick together and jump several times (I'm 240lb). Nothing, this frigging thing is welded. I will try to loosen the studs one by one before trying anything else.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I try one of those portable torch from Home Depot for about 30 minutes, after that I lay down it in the floor with contact only over 8 inches of wood in the upper powerhead and the lower section of the exhaust, step over the place where both stick together and jump several times (I'm 240lb). Nothing, this frigging thing is welded. I will try to loosen the studs one by one before trying anything else.

Holy crap, do you actually think that it is welded together or are you just poking fun?

jgg

Cadet

No joke, I'm aplying PB Blaster for 2 days now, will try to take the studs out on the weekend.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

No joke, I'm aplying PB Blaster for 2 days now, will try to take the studs out on the weekend.
Anyway you could get us a picture?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Might try the local auto supply store and see if they have a newer spray called Frezze Off. works like PB Blaster but frezzes the stud and shrinks it as where heat will expand the metal. It has worked for me removing pressed in parts that would not fit in a press.
Oldman570

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Might try the local auto supply store and see if they have a newer spray called Frezze Off. works like PB Blaster but frezzes the stud and shrinks it as where heat will expand the metal. It has worked for me removing pressed in parts that would not fit in a press.
Oldman570
That is cool to know. I have never heard of that before!

jgg

Cadet

Thanks to all for your sugestions, I apply a combination of all and finally got 7 studs out, the other 3 I had to use a dremmel and cut the studs 1/2' on the exhaust.