Mercury 115HP - water not comming through tell tale when flushing with bunny ears and

twr7cx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2001 Mercury Salt Water Series 115HP:

My problem is the last two times I have arrived home from using it, when I have connected the bunny ears and hose to the motor to flush it, water has not run all the way through the motor and exited at the tell tale.

The first occurrence was yesterday. The motor had run fine all day in the water and prior to going I had run it at home (at which point water flowed through the tell tale). I got a piece of wire and pushed it up and through to clear/feel for any blockages, there were none.

Today when the boat was put in the water, water flowed through, however, again when coming home it did not while being flushed. Tried holding the bunny ears tightly onto the outboard. Water hose is turned on maximum (which was adequate for my previous boat and has always worked on this outboard in the past).

Any ideas? Could it be a sign of a worn water pump or something like that?

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mercury 115HP - water not comming through tell tale when flushing with bunny ears

Sounds like impeller replacement time.Salt water usage change every 2 years.
Sometimes on muffs the tstats take a while to open.Just make sure motor temp is ok and let it run a while longer.Could even take a minute or so.

twr7cx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury 115HP - water not comming through tell tale when flushing with bunny ears

Sounds like impeller replacement time.Salt water usage change every 2 years.
Sometimes on muffs the tstats take a while to open.Just make sure motor temp is ok and let it run a while longer.Could even take a minute or so.

Thanks. I have only just purchased the boat (a month ago). It's only done 60 hours in 10 years (genuine) and I suspect has never had the impeller changed previously.

The two flushes on the weekend were within 10 minutes of the boat being run in the sea, so the motor was still warm. Ran it for at least a minute and still wasn't coming out.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Was water comming out thru the prop? How about the grates above the antiventilation plate? If so, the water pump is working. It may not be working at 100% efficiency, however. Put your hand on the block when running it. Thermostats usually open at 140*. If you can touch the block for a few seconds, it is not overheating. If you suspect a bad impeller, replace it, the wearplate and all gaskets.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Might want to check your Tstats as well.Just changed my water pump and tstats.I got lucky cause my stats where stuck/seized half open,dont ask me how.Photo attached for light entertainment.

Attachments

• IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 0

twr7cx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Was water comming out thru the prop? How about the grates above the antiventilation plate? If so, the water pump is working. It may not be working at 100% efficiency, however. Put your hand on the block when running it. Thermostats usually open at 140*. If you can touch the block for a few seconds, it is not overheating. If you suspect a bad impeller, replace it, the wearplate and all gaskets.

Not sure. I should have paid more attention. Thank you for the points and I will look for them next opportunity.

I have ordered a replacement complete waterpump kit (was little price difference between the impellor by itself and the complete kit).

twr7cx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Might want to check your Tstats as well.Just changed my water pump and tstats.I got lucky cause my stats where stuck/seized half open,dont ask me how.Photo attached for light entertainment.

The boat has never been in salt water until two months ago, so hopefully the thermostats are fine. I'm aprehensive on pulling them out without having replacements (or just replacement gaskets and seals on hand - I usually purchase from the USA for my parts due to the price difference, especially at the moment with our dollar up - so there is some delay before I have the items).

I have ordered the complete waterpump kit and I will start with that as I suspect it has not been changed in 10 years, so is long overdue. The thermostat opens up quickly when the engine is run in the ocean, so possibly less of a chance of them being faulty, but if the waterpump doesn't solve it I'll order replacement thermostate.

SingleShot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FYI, there have been occasions with my 125 when running with my muffs if I had the hose pressure to high it would exhibit the same symptoms you have. Now I normaly just turn the water on enough to leak past the muffs when running and my Tell Tail stream is normal. Not sure if the poppet valve is related to this.

JK

twr7cx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FYI, there have been occasions with my 125 when running with my muffs if I had the hose pressure to high it would exhibit the same symptoms you have. Now I normaly just turn the water on enough to leak past the muffs when running and my Tell Tail stream is normal. Not sure if the poppet valve is related to this.

Poppet valve?

I didn't think the hose could supply too high pressure water?