1981 mercury long shaft 25 horse, fix or pitch?

root beer guy

Seaman Apprentice
I inherited a 1981 mercury long shaft 25 horse from an idiot that abused it. the clutch is shot, the reverse gear is shot, and it may need a carb rebuild and a new water pump.

the guy I have looking at it wants $525 for installing the gear and clutch, and probably $200 for the carb rebuild and $2?? (I forget) for doing the water pump.

would you do it or push it in the swamp?

I have no personal attachment to this motor, I am considering going new. my main concern is money value. I don't want to get another used one and go through the same mess with another one from a stranger.

brandon110

Seaman
Re: 1981 mercury long shaft 25 horse, fix or pitch?

i was just in Shakopee Minnesota at the isoc race wish you had put this post up a little earlier i would of come and taken it off your hands. lol

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Depending on how mechanically inclined you are and compression and over all shape of the powerhead.. Go get a manual and do the work yourself, none of the issues you stated are that hard or that big of a deal. Plus.. all the lakes/rivers are frozen anyway here in MN, you got months to figure it all out and it was free.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd look for a used lower unit, do the water pump myself, and maybe pay someone to do the carbs (I don't do carbs).