Mercury 150 Clogged Water Circulation System

Trophy 19

Recruit
Oh Boy. :face palm: I have a 2003 Mercury 150. I just used the boat for fishing twice last week and everything was fine. I hooked up a hose to the "hose flush port" tonight to rinse the cooling system and the system is almost completely clogged. I get a "trickle" of water out of the lower case and nothing out of the pee hole. The short rubber hose between the "hose flush port" expanded from the pressure (65 psi) to a point that I thought it was going to burst. I feel like clog of this degree should be identifiable but I do not have a digram of the overall circulation system. Any simple ideas to check? Is this it for my winter Rockfish season? Thanks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury 150 Clogged Water Circulation System

You try the regular muffs on the lower?
Doesn't sound right that it's clogged there and no overheat????

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pull Tstats to have a closer look.When using upper flush ports DO NOT run engine as you will cook impeller.Top flushing is not enough.Must flush from muffs to clean lower unit and pump etc.
Boat should be flushed same day or next morning....not a week later...to avoid caking.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Some models have a check valve in the flush port and you need a adaptor.I would use a set of muffs to flush it.