water problem

willie377

Cadet
just purchased an old merc (1971) the couple times i had it out i never saw any water discharge from engine, does the warter come out down under water at the bottom of the foot. this bothers me

FLATHEAD MAC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: water problem

WATER SHOULD DISCHARGE FROM small hole under right side of cowl looking at the rear of motor. could be blockage, but be good to change impeller , waret pump, and back blow thru the tell tale "pee hole' with compressed air, hopefully no other issues since running while not peeing.

willie377

Cadet

The main discharge is thru the prop.

thanks i have had the motor running in a barrell and it bubbles like it was blowing out under water, i was hoping that was where it was coming out makes me feel better thanks a lot willie377

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How will you know you have a blocked or damaged pump when your out boating....you wont till its too late.Fix the tell tale.Stick wire up to clear hole.Its your only visual that pump is working.

willie377

Cadet

you are right i didn't know if it had a hole there i will check it out, makes sense to have one there thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The bubbles you see in the barrel are from the exhaust which also exits through the hub fo the prop. Because there are bubbles doesn't mean there is water flow. Fix the tell tale (it is actually called an "overboard indicator".