1996 Mariner 9.9 2 stroke only runs with the plug removed from the bowl in the Carb.

raymillsus

Cadet
I bought a 9.9 Mariner 2 stroke today. I am hoping I did not make a mistake. It seems to be in great shape and it ran for over an hour at idle. Here is my question. There is a plug in the bottom of the carberator that the guy said has to be removed in order for it to run. If you put the plug in it shuts off in a matter of seconds. He said it was running for about 30 min then shut off. He said that he noticed that the gas looked like a very good microbrew. he said he pulled the plug out to drain the bad gas from the bowl. He also tried to pull the cord a couple of times to try to move the rest out of the pump, It started. And ran. Now the only way it will run is with the plug out of the carb. Only issue is that Gas also runs out of this and is not a good idea. I thought that since this thing ran so smooth and it was such a good deal I could get this fixed and still have a good deal. Any idea's here? I am sure it is something with the bad gas maybe a float or something. I was hoping I could just hook it up with good gas and let it run for a couple of hours. Any suggestions.

Also does anyone have a link to the service manual.

thanks

-Ray

brandon110

Seaman
Re: 1996 Mariner 9.9 2 stroke only runs with the plug removed from the bowl in the Ca

The carb needs to be cleaned. My guess is the needle and seat isnt getting a good seal and whats happing is with the plug in the carb is flooding out the motor causing it to stall. with the plug out its letting the excess gas just run out. I cant belive that it would even run with the plug out. from my memory its a good size plug. get your carb cleaned not at big deal probly did get a good deal on the motor.

raymillsus

Cadet
Re: 1996 Mariner 9.9 2 stroke only runs with the plug removed from the bowl in the Ca

Thanks for your vote of confidence. Is this something that I can do while it is on the engine or do I need to remove the carb to do this. Is this like spray this stuff in this whole and this whole and let her rip. Or pull it off and disassemble and clean every inside part you can get to. Sorry for the questions if they are dumb but my questions are coming from someone not so inclined with these things. I consider myself very handy but carberators scare me. :D

raymillsus

Cadet

I just read online that you should mix up a batch of liquid carb cleaner in a tank of fuel. he reccomends 1 can in 1 gallon of mixed fuel. And just let it run. From time to time spray some cleaner in the throat. This is suppose to clean it without having to take it apart and readjust it. I figure it could not hurt but then again I really do not want to do damage to the engine by getting the cleaner into the cylinders. THoughts?

-Ray

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If carbs scare you,have a mechanic rebuild it. spray carb cleaner won't work and you have to wash that tank and lines out.

brandon110

Seaman

yes you have to take the carb off the motor and take it apart and clean it out. Putting carb clean in the gas will do nothing. maybe if you have a carb that is only slightly dirty. Also putting that much carb clean in your tank which in your case would be a mix of oil and gas i would be worried that the carb clean would thin out the oil. If your not that great with carbs i would take the whole thing to a dealer and let them clean it install a carb kit and adjust it. if you do go with taking it to a dealer do them a favor and bring the whole motor not just the carb. so they can adjust it once then get it all clean and check there work.

raymillsus

Cadet

Thank you for the advice. any idea on how long and $$ it should cost. I have a guy at the marina that is mobile and does good work. But he is 70 per hour. Not sure about this job and how long it would take vs taking it to the dealer. I ran it today and I was starting to get it working then it shut off and i tried to restart it and i hit my hand on the side of the garage and I am done for the day. :)

brandon110

Seaman

somewhere around 3 hours max to take it off clean it and install and adjust could be more if carb is really dirty. carb kit probly somewhere around 50$

carholme

Rear Admiral

raymillsus;

What is your engine s/n and I will get you the manual?

Gerry

raymillsus

Cadet

@carholme, I just bought the Selock online subscription but 0G327804 is the serial number. I love more manuals. If you have the manual that would be great.

Reading the Selock online I think I may have found the issue or atleast an issue. Here is what I found.

On the Selock online disassembly procedures it says "Remove the base plug being careful not to lose the check ball" I know that the plug the guy gave me did not have a check ball. So here is what inquiring minds want to know.

The check ball in question is the one on the bottom of the primer assembly.

1. What does this check ball do exactally.
2. Is it possible that this check ball stops the flow of fuel into the carberator. And Getting the check ball and spring could fix my issue.
Or is this just another unrelated issue that still needs to be fixed.

If I remove the plug it does not stall out I can run it forever and actually puts a smile on my face with how it just purrs. if I put my finger over the hole it will run for a second or so then start to stall out. if I remove my finger it will come back to life but fuel drains out of the hole the entire time.

Here is what I think happened and if I am crazy I am.

1. He used old gas in the engine unknowingly.
2. Trying to do the right thing he drained the old fuel out of the carb by removing the plug on the bottom of the carb.
3. When removing the plug not knowing it was actually a check valve lost the ball.
4. Once the check ball was gone when putting the plug in it would actually flood the engine and cause it to stall.
5. I bought this engine at a discount due to it not running correctly and something half the size of a BB and probably $.20 will more than likely fix the problem.
6. For the first time in my life I have stepped in it and actually come out smelling like roses.

Or not and i am still screwed and this just gave me hope that is just not there. :D I am hoping for the prior.

-Ray

carholme

Rear Admiral

Your s/n comes up as a model:

7010201ED MARINER 1996 9.9

Parts listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/497.cfm

OEM Service Manual P/N: 90-827242R02

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/TwoStroke/827242r1/cover.pdf

You must have Adobe Acrobat reader installed to use this manual. If you scroll down to the lower part of the opening page, you will see the various engine components in red. Click on the one you want and when the first page opens, click on the "Save As" icon at the top LH corner of the page and you can save it to your computer.

Looks like the only way you can get the spring and check ball is to order the carb repair kit.

Gerry

raymillsus

Cadet

Wow those are nice links. I will have to keep those. Thanks. Anyone have any comments as to if i am on the right track or if I am way off and there is more to this than what it appears.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Well I all so have that same motor and I will say it is a very sweet running one. I bought it used this summer to push my toon around and did some maintance and I couldnt be happer with it. So it is well worth a bit of time and money to get it running right.

raymillsus

Cadet

MH,

Since you have this same engine. Have you done anything with the carb? If so any ideas with my issue. I agree with you is sounds so good when it is running but for mine to run i have to have gas pooring out of it. :D What can information if any can you give about this engine that I may need to know. I know that sometimes there are little things. Like the tilt function. They guy I got it from never figured it out and I have been playing with it. I figured out you have to have it in gear to tilt it up. But what is the deal with all the levers on it and settings. Any reccomendations on how to set all that up? The owners manual kind of skips right over that.

Also if anyone has info on my problem I am all ears.

Thank you for your replies.

-Ray

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

That's the trim that is how to adjust the motor drive angle on a boat to lift the front of the boat to make to run on plain smother or get on plain easer and why you have a 1,2 and 3 setting it changes the angle. Yes when its in gear it will tilt up, that's built in because while your running if you hit a object it will allow the motor to bounce up and not rip off the back of the boat. When I got mine it had a idling and a over heating. I did a crab rebuild with a kit and pulled off the UL replaced all of the seals and water pump and thermostat. Carbs aren't hard to rebuild the way I do them is to remove it from the motor and place it on a old steel serving tray with a white shop towel on it that has a lip all the way around it. The lip stops any small parts from dropping off and the shop towel helps me see small parts, and slowly take it apart placing things in the order I remove them in. Once it is striped down I use the can crab cleaner or crab dip depending on just how bad its stopped up. Then I use high pressure air to blow through each passage to make sure it is open and use piece a monofilament fishing line also through each passage just in case and reassemble and pre set the idle mixture screw and put muffs on it and test run and adjust. The crab isn't complicated just take your time and watch what your doing and you will be fine it looks a lot worse than it is. In your case the plug you are removing is a bowl drain plug, mine has the same thing but no spring or ball, it sounds like the needle valve is stuck open and allowing gas to flood into the motor. then you remove it stops the flood and allows it to run. From your description you wont need to do a full rebuild. You can just remove the fuel bowl and replace the needle valve and seat and I would also replace the floats those can absorb gas and become heavy and not float right any more. That should get it running. Before you try to use it on a boat I would also replace the water pump and check the lower unit oil for water contamination. And don't run the motor with out it being in a test tank or on muffs the lack of water running through the motor will do over heat damage and water pump damage and can cause a piece of the rubber impeller to break off and get stuck in the motor and then you have a real problem. I hope this helps. Thier many many more qualified people here than I am to help you through this.

raymillsus

Cadet

First of all I want to thank everyone for their input. In the end it happened to be just the ball was missing from the check valve. Once that was put in it runs like the plug is out except no gas everywhere. :D I think I will do a waterpump and lower unit oil job. I always use amsoil in my lower units and I never have any issues. I have some here so I will just refill it with that. Thanks again and I will be lerking learning from all of you guys. Great infomation on here. I bought the online subscription to the Seloc online and reccomend that to anyone looking for a soft copy manual.