Sterndrive Engineering

frankt75

Recruit
I am looking at getting a replacement lower unit for my 1997 Mercury 115 hp outboard from Sterndrive Engineering. Reverse went out in the outboard and I have replaced about a half dozen parts and haven't been able to get it working.

From what I have been able tio find on the internet, they look like a good unit. The problems I have seen discussed with the company all seem to invole bigger motors and salt water use.

Does anyone here have experience with these lower units?

brandon110

Seaman
Re: Sterndrive Engineering

We have a few of these in our boatyard. They work....kinda they shift but not as well as oem they use cheap fasteners and quality isnt as good as oem. if it was my boat and i wanted a trouble free day on the water id stay away i do see the incentive though you can almost buy 2 of them compared to 1 merc lower.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I have sold quite a few of these in outboard and I/O versions and the I/O version shifts better that the OEM !!!! I have had a few problems but only on the 3.0L outboards. When you do a insurance job and they specify they want a SEI quoted they must have a pretty good reputation.

brandon110

Seaman

Faztbullet im guessing since your in tennessee the ones you have sold have all been in freshwater? Any idea how they build the drive for so much less? the problems i have seen with the drives in our yard have all been do to salt water use. I was wondering how they have held up in the freshwater?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Brandon, How do you know SEI builds the gearcases for less than Merc? They clearly sell them for less than Merc, but there are many more factors in price, then cost to manufacturer. For example, my Merc dealer said that merc set their parts prices based upon an algorithm factoring in numbers sold, and some other non-cost factors.

Another example is the recent Chapter 11 of GM. They had lots of financial liability to the UAW and suppliers, that they passed on to their customers, making their cars too expensive for the quality. After Chapter 11, GM was (supposedly) able to add quality to the cars, at a particular pricepoint, since they got out of much of their financial liabiity.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Any idea how they build the drive for so much less? the problems i have seen with the drives in our yard have all been do to salt water use. I was wondering how they have held up in the freshwater?
The reason the drive is cheaper is the housing casting and machining is contracted offshore as are some of the internals. They are assembled in house in Oldsmar and probably have about $200-300 cost in it when finished. They hold up great in fresh water and never had a paint issue on one.

brandon110

Seaman

I understand there are many things that affect price other then materials and labor. didnt realize they where casted in other countrys that answers my question. hearing they hold up great in fresh water is a good thing to know if a customer doesnt want to spend the money for a merc replacemnet ill recommend one of these. Its funny you mention the paint issue, that is the biggest problem we have with them in the salt the paint falls off, the paint inside the housing after the water pump falls off and gets clogged in the motor making it overheat.

brandon110

Seaman

also we have had the nuts crack off on them. not that, that is a whole lot differnt then the problem merc had with there opti's cracking the nuts off that hold the loweruint on.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Have installed a few standard and counter, only 1 was returned for warranty. you could buy 5 of sei compared to 1 merc.