Starting over on spark isues on 1985 Mariner 115

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Starting over on spark isues on 1985 Mariner 115

what did outboard ign.com say the blue/white to ground should be? 110 looks low I think. but try it the way I showed you, I am not familiar with the site you are using and I know CDI site test work. I would also highly recommend CDI replacement parts. the purple, white, brown and White/black trigger wires should be open to engine ground, purple to white should be 800-1400, brown to white/black (or black) should be 800-1400. but again OHM test have been very unreliable in outboard electronics and I only do DVA test.

purple to white = 4v or above
brown to white/black (or black) = 4v or above
each wire to engine ground = 1v or above

gwukena

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm still not sure if there should be continuity between engine ground and the 6 coil leads. I can't find that answer anywhere and seems to me like there shouldn't be.

With coils connected to switchbox there will be continuity, you are actually measuring the resistance of the coils primary windings which are .02 to .04 ohms spec from manual. CDI says meter reading of .2 to 1 ohm due to capability of meter

gwukena

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure if you've done this yet, but if equipped with idle stabilizer, is it disconnected?
May not make a difference with your testing, but they have a habit of destroying motors when they go bad

SparkieBoat

Captain

yes..if it has an idle stabilizer, remove it and adjust your timing, I think it is to 25 BTDC, at least that is what it is on the V-6.

gwukena

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes..if it has an idle stabilizer, remove it and adjust your timing, I think it is to 25 BTDC, at least that is what it is on the V-6.

Don't advance the timing above spec with or without stabilizer removed on an inline 6. The v6 used either a idle stabilizer, high speed or combination stabilizer/high speed advance module, the inlines only used an idle stabilizer.

SparkieBoat

Captain

now I see why I had different test, I was looking at the 4 cyl engine, I forgot merc made a 6 cyl 115. in that case your blue/white and red/white are both out of spec...stator is bad. and gwukena is correct about your timing, but throw the stabilizer away if it is still there.

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer

Sparkie, I called CDI tech and talked with them and explained what I did and gave him the readings and he confirmed the stator. Outboard Ignition.com states 150 volts or more on the blue/white were CDI states 180 on both high sides and they state 25 volts or more on the low side were CDI states 25-100. Also gwekena, I have not unhooked the idle stabilizer. With the readings from the Stator and the way the trouble fallowed the leads that pretty much diagnosed the trouble but I sure will unhook it. So unhook the white black on the bottom box along with the jumper to the top box, The ground that hooks on the coil pack and the pos that hooks under the red stator lead correct. and just take the hole stabilizer box out and toss it and leave to two posts on the switch boxes empty?

SparkieBoat

Captain

that is why i love CDI, they will go a long way to help you...I was looking at the 4 cyl test...that is why I was confused. you have learned much, graduated from grass hopper to padawan...LOL

gwukena

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So unhook the white black on the bottom box along with the jumper to the top box, The ground that hooks on the coil pack and the pos that hooks under the red stator lead correct. and just take the hole stabilizer box out and toss it and leave to two posts on the switch boxes empty?

Do not disconnect the jumper wire between the boxes, that is your bias circuit. Only disconnect the stabilizer and remove. You shouldn't have any terminals empty on the boxes after removal.

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Sparkie I had to look up padawan lol. I got ya gwukena. It will be go the next time I fire her up. Thanks all and I will definitely update when the stator comes in and hooked up.

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer

been a while but got a new stator from CDI and installed it and thought I was good till I put the timing light on each plug wire. Number 6 isn't firing and I did a DVA test after install and Stator checked out OK, trigger tested out funny. Top purple was 4 volts. all others were three except for the purple that goes to number 6 cyl.which is on the bottom box It read 8. DVA on coil wires were right around 180 on 1,2,3,and 5, 4 was about 220 and 6 was only 2 so on 6 I have a very high dva on the trigger lead and very low dva on coil side. Even unhooked the dva on the 6 cyl {purple} read 8. Book said if read low it was trigger, doesn't say anything about reading high.

SparkieBoat

Captain

trigger readings should be
brown to white = at least 4v
white to purple = at least 4v
purple to brown = at least 4v

test then disconnect the trigger from the switch box and then re test.
3v is not up to spec. if after you disconnect the trigger from the switch box you get 4v + then you have a short in your switch box and it needs to be replaced. if it stays below 4v then you have a bad trigger. not uncommon for more than 1 electronic part to go bad..sometimes it is best to just go ahead and replace it all at once, so a short does not damage new parts. I would probably replace the trigger and switch box. all with CDI parts. it is also possible you have a shorted coil, try moving the coil and testing to see if problem follows the coil.