New 225 hp Optimax's

dtkan

Recruit
My boat is a 28 ft Boston Whaler Conquest with twin 2001 225 hp Mercury Optimax's. and having trouble with them. Please advise on whether to replace them with the new 2011 225 Optimax's 2 stroke a "Wise" choice? I've been told Mercury has resolved the past issues they had in earlier years.

Thanks in advance.

Don

brandon110

Seaman
Re: New 225 hp Optimax's

First troubles so bad you need repower? blown up? but yes the new optis are better they have all bugs worked out now they run great.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If you can afford them then change them.They are 10 and will probably be more troublesome as time goes on.
Starting with new is a good idea.
The new Opti's are great.The Verados seem to be pretty good too.

dtkan

Recruit

First troubles so bad you need repower? blown up? but yes the new optis are better they have all bugs worked out now they run great.

Thanks Brandon. Is it true that the new Optis run almost as efficient as the 4-Stroke?

brandon110

Seaman

Optis are very good on fuel as are the new four strokes performance wise there both a beast out of the hole and up on plane but the verado is quieter about it. The biggest seller for verados over optis to our customers is it super quiet considering that up here in maine most of our outboard boats are center consoles with t tops and the noise will echo around a little on a t top. personally i am a 2-stroke guy and love these optis and hope they stay around for a long time.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The 4 strokes are very quiet at lower rpm's/speeds, but when you crank'em up they're also very, very loud. Look at some of the boat tests online and in the motor manufacturers' tests, and you'll see'em well over 100 db's @ redline.

If you're a slow cruiser, get 4 stroke. If you like to cruise very fast, go 2 stroke. The problem with the Optimax's is that they require that "liquid gold" Mercury oil--not the cheap WalMart oil. Their brand of oil adds to operating costs greatly.