1984 mariner 50 hp idl problems

motor dumb

Cadet
Hey yall I got a problem, just cleaned my carbs on my 1984 50 hp Mariner. all jets are clean needle in good shape but when I go to start it on full choke it starts good but when i take it off choke motor revs high for few seconds then dies .
I'm about to pull my hair out . please help

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1984 mariner 50 hp idl problems

Sound like fuel problem...get a remote tank if you are using a built in boat tank..get a clear line and run from fuel pump to carb and see if you are getting air. Does the bulb stay hard? Are the floats set correctly when you cleaned the carbs? Disconnect the fuel pump line coming out of the pump to carbs and crank motor...is fuel pulsing out? some things to check out.......

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Idle mixture adjustment is critical to a good running motor.

Initial setting is 1 and 1/2 turns out from very lightly seated, that should provide enough fuel to idle the motor once started.

Running on the hose does not provide the exhaust back pressure like there is once the boat is launched, you can still get idle mixture close but it will need perfecting once you do launch the boat.

After the motor is warmed up, adjust each carb idle mixture screw to 'Best' idle. From there the motor still needs additional idle mixture, just about 1/4 more of a turn out (CCW) if adjusting on the hose. This should get you close enough to launch the boat and get it into gear without couching and dying.

Once the boat is launched, you will need to perfect the idle mixture adjustment. Again, with the motor warmed up and in Forward gear, readjust each mixture screw to 'Best' idle speed. And again, the motor still needs additional fuel for crisp acceleration, turn each mixture screw out almost 1/8 turn.

Test acceleration, ANY hesitation on holeshot indicates a need for even more idle fuel, adjust each screw out just the width of the screw-driver blade slot then retest acceleration again. Repeat to perfection.

motor dumb

Cadet

It was a float level problem THANK YOU for all your help