2008 Mercury 90hp Fourstroke will not IDLE or RUN. (PLEASE WATCH VIDEO)

i bought this motor under the assumption it "runs good"

but this is what i have so far.

i turn the key to the on position and then i hear a short beep, which is standard or "usual" but then a few more seconds, there is one long continuous beep.

after the long beep ends, i can see the fuel lines get soft again. (no pressure in them).

the motor will start, but not for long.

sometimes it will start and the idle will go up and down, up and down and then shut off.

i have no idea what is wrong with this motor or what the long continuous beep means.

please help.

2008 mercury 90hp 4stroke
compression 210psi on 4 cylinders
good spark on all cylinders
fuel injectors are clean and in working order.

Re: 2008 Mercury 90hp Fourstroke will not IDLE or RUN. (PLEASE WATCH VIDEO)

Is this a DTS (Digital Throttle and Shift)? If it is, it will not run without the CAN 1 and 2 networks and command modules.

how can i tell if this motor has DTS?

ok, this is not DTS.

on the spark plugs im getting a bright orange spark, is that normal? or should it be blue?

also, what does the long beep mean?

With the newer motors it can mean a lot of different things, usually a severe to critical horn will give that long beep. What are you using to start the motor with, do you have the right keyswitch? It is not in view on your video. Normally a long beep would indcate an overheat or low oil pressure but was is concerning is that is is happening at key on/up. Hard to say with it being just on the stand like that. What is the serial number?

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

Orange is not ok...should be a bright blue spark...out of the gate you have an ignition problem......you video doesn't work

brandon110

Seaman

Long beep means critical fault is logged. engine is in gardian even with it in gardian by law it should still start and idle at least though. take it to a shop with Mercurys CDS system they should be able to tell you whats happing real quick.