225 OptiMax Smartcraft gages

stalker14

Seaman Apprentice
2 years ago I purchased a boat with a 225 opti max, the boat and motor are 2001 models. The boat only has analog gages and no smart craft anything. I would like to get the smart craft gage. I am basically interested in the fuel flow details and alarms. Can someone tell me exactly what I need to get? There seems to be different set ups for these motors. The boat is a 24' WA.

Thanks.

stalker14

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 225 OptiMax Smartcraft gages

Oh, here are some pictures of the plugs on the motor.
IMG00198-20101107-1006.jpg

NewImage.jpg

And under the dash the standard throttle controller.

IMG00201-20101107-10092.jpg

stalker14

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, it is kind of confusing cause when I tried to look up parts I would find different numbers listed for what looked like the same thing. I wasn't sure what I needed and there are differences in my motor for some reason like for example my motor does not have the yellow terminator that everyone keeps referring to on the motor plug. That may be because there is nothing attached to it. I don't know. Big help, thank you!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Sometimes one must consult a good partsman at a Mercury dealership that has experienced many Smartcraft installations. There are so many variations that it almost takes an electrical engineer to figure out all the available combinations.

Many customers running later model Verados go with the Smartcraft tachometer and speedometers, and also receive a bunch of other information--other than speed & rpm's. If going offshore, hooking Smartcraft up to external GPS units is great. But, they're expensive and they're very complicated to install.

stalker14

Seaman Apprentice

Another problem I have found is that they seem to change the part numbers every year for no other reason than the new year model. For example I needed a cowling gasket for a 1973 Evinrude 135 several years ago and I went to the dealer. They said they only stocked parts back 10 years and the part number for that motor was not available. I asked if I could look at the oldest motor they could get the part for. It was the exact same part but had a different part number. I ordered it and it fit and worked just fine, 20 years later.

They like to take something that should be simple and make it much more complicated than it needs to be.

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class

The green plug is the one. Remove the end and you will see the Smartcraft connector. The green part is like a dummy plug and quite small, it just comes off.

Which gauge(s) did you want to use?

Dave

stalker14

Seaman Apprentice

I just wanted the system monitor. I have an analog tack and other gages. I want the monitor for the fuel flow and alarm displays. One thing I have been seeing on the monitor is the part # on that, they end with k1, k2, k3, ..... k10 what the heck is the difference in all these gages???? They all look exactly the same..

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just go to your dealer buy the single cable above and a system monitor? See post #4 above for the diffrences?

Dave