2004 Mercury 150 optmax Starting issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Cherry

Cadet
I just change out my plugs in my Optmax and now it will not fire. I have done this many times but I have never had it do this before . I am using NGK IZFR5G5887 Plugs I got from my dealer. I checked my Kill switch and all was right ... Any ideas ? Thanks

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2004 Mercury 150 optmax Starting issue

Just cuz the plugs are new doesn't mean you can rule them out, the parts guy may have dropped them, and just because they look fine on the outside they may be cracked on the inside. if the porcelain is cracked it will ground out and no spark

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I really doubt its the plugs, if the fuel pump comes on and runs when you turn on key switch the kill switch is ok, check the ignition fuse as it may have "popped"....

Mike Cherry

Cadet

I have checked all my fuses in the dash and in on my 150 optimax and the fuel pump runs when the key is turned . Any other ideas ? Thanks

brandon110

Seaman

did it start fine before and you changed the plugs and now it wont start?

brandon110

Seaman

what color are the direct injectors? they will be blue gray or maybe black. My guess is you have the wrong plugs. make sure they are what the motor serial number calls for. i think its the plugs because due to the plume that the injector puts out depends on what plug you need. the issue is sometimes a plugs that get put in have a shorter reach then what it needs. and what happes is when the injector fires (depending on what direct injector) it can shoot and long narrow plume and if the plug doesnt have the right reach on it it will fire into just plain air and you will have a no start or it will start and run very poorly. if you have a multistrike coil it is much more common for it to fire and run poorly but if you have a single strike coil then it is much more possiable that this is your issue. This is a kinda rare issue but i have seen it. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.