'01 Mercury 25hp stuck in forward?

Leethal

Recruit
Hey guys,

Hoping that someone is able to help me with my problem on my 01 Mercury 25hp 2 stroke tiller shift. Problem I have with it originated one day out on the water when it was really tight to shift back into neutral from forward, as i had to basically force it in to neutral it sought of slipped and stayed in gear and wouldn't come out of forward even after turning the handle.

After a bit of inspection after, all I noticed what could be the problem was that both the throttle cables that go from the tiller handle around to a cog/pulley on the other side of the motor were chewed out and badly frayed. So after replacing both these cables with new I still have the same problem, it will start but will only start in gear and will not change out to neutral or reverse.

Has anyone ever experienced or had this happen to them?? Or does anyone know what could be wrong with it? Any help will be appreciated as hopefully it will stop me from pulling the rest of my hair out! :(

Thanks

bowfisher8967

Seaman
Re: '01 Mercury 25hp stuck in forward?

I may be way off, but I'd say while your waiting for some of the pro's around here to REALLY answer your question, you may try looking at your motor on top of the rotary starter for a "no-start in gear" switch. Your motor MAY be too early of a model for this feature, but if it does have it, then it could explain why it wants to start in gear. This happened with my merc, where it would only want to start in reverse. If this is the case, its a simple adjustment made by unhooking the cable and twisting it, tight or loose, until the switch will engage when your in neutral. As far as it not coming out of forward, you'l just have to wait for some proper advice! :facepalm: