150 Mariner Kill Switch Killed The Engine

brianwrites

Seaman
Took the family out on the lake, boat(1995 Procraft Fish N Sk)i ran like a champ. Stopped to take pic. Started the engined to head back home. Cranked up fine. Stood up to pull the strolling motor back in and accidentally flipped the kill switch(toggles to run and off) Switched the kill switch back to run, but it won't start anymore. Turns over fine, just won't start. 1/4 tank of gas, primed the engine, still won't start. I flipped the kill switch back to off and it makes the same "turning over" sound as it does with the kill switch is set to "run". It's almost as though it wants the switch to be reset or something. Anybody got any advice? Oh and our family of five used the 12V trolling motor to make back to the 2 mile trek home. Not a very popular guy around the house.

Thanks

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 150 Mariner Kill Switch Killed The Engine

You may have a bad switch. Locate the black/yellow wire going to the switch boxes and then use an ohm meter and check the continuity going to ground. With the kill switch in the run position you should see an open circuit.

brianwrites

Seaman

Thanks a ton. When you say switch boxes, are your referring to switches that may be located inside the throttle control, which is where the killed switch is mounted? Thanks again.

Brian

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Thanks a ton. When you say switch boxes, are your referring to switches that may be located inside the throttle control, which is where the killed switch is mounted? Thanks again.

Brian

No, I am talking about the switch boxes under the cowling.

brianwrites

Seaman

Thanks again. Is it even worth taking the throttle control apart to see if there's something strange going on with the wiring directly behind the kill switch? Sorry for the remedial questions. My manual is at home, the boat is on here on the lake two hours from home and of course if I can't get it started I can't get it back on my trailer to take it back home to work on it. Or at least not without a boat mechanic and a winch. Really appreciate your help.

Brian

brianwrites

Seaman

Tested the black and yellow wire at switchbox. Checked out fine. Took the throttle control apart. Unplugged the kill switch wire and made sure it went back in nice and snug. Fired right up. However, throttle cable won't go in to neutral now. Goes from Drive to Reverse. Any tricks or tips? There's no model number or serial number on the Quicksilver Throttle Control. Thanks for your help.