Mariner V6 135 trim sensor

Griffzar

Cadet
Hi guys,
Can anyone tell me where to find the trim sensor on a mariner 135 V6 (carburettor). The trim guage is not working after the motor was refitted (The engine was stolen and later recovered the wiring was cut). Does anyone have the wiring diagram or in fact the complete manual for this motor?

Thank you in advance Griffzar

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Mariner V6 135 trim sensor

Griffzar;

What is the s/n of your engine?

Gerry

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You can find a wiring diaghram at the maxrules website.

Griffzar

Cadet

Thanks Gerry and Chris.
The wiring diagrams on Maxrule do not match what I have. As mentioned the engine was stolen and recovered but they cut the wiring at the motor and the boat shop repaired it.

The trim sensor only has two wires one goes down to earth the other is connected to a sensor on the cylinder head, I think its the temperature sensor. I know this is not correct. Does the wire from the trim sensor normally connect directly to the guage?

Then what about the temperature sensor? I do not have a guage for temperature, does it go to the beeper in the control box?

Thanks Guys

carholme

Rear Admiral

Griffzar;

You are right, it is not available at maxrules. Here is a condensed version of the Clymer manual with a basic schematic for post s/n 0C100860. Let the page load for 30 seconds:

http://web.ebscohost.com/serrc/pdf?...2-9c93-0673ae1c4f1e@sessionmgr10&vid=4&hid=24

As I said, it is basic and does not include the trim system. Do you know what control box you have, possibly a Commander 2000 or 3000? Let me know and I will get you the next OEM service manual up from yours which will show the trim system.

Gerry

cajunmerc

Cadet

There is no temp guage the sending unit go's to beeper as you guessed, trim sensor wire to guage.

Griffzar

Cadet

Griffzar;

You are right, it is not available at maxrules. Here is a condensed version of the Clymer manual with a basic schematic for post s/n 0C100860. Let the page load for 30 seconds:

http://web.ebscohost.com/serrc/pdf?...2-9c93-0673ae1c4f1e@sessionmgr10&vid=4&hid=24

As I said, it is basic and does not include the trim system. Do you know what control box you have, possibly a Commander 2000 or 3000? Let me know and I will get you the next OEM service manual up from yours which will show the trim system.

Gerry

Thanks again Gerry,
The controller, Are you refering to the box that has the throttle and trim control that sit next to the drivers seat?
I wired the trim sensor into the guage last night and the guage is now working, but now I have no clue what to do with the temp sensor wiring. I tried wiring it to the cable that goes to the buzzer, but the buzzer just sounded continuosly. I heard that the buzzer has three functions 1)test at switch on 2) Oil level and 3) engine temp. To me for multiple functions there would have to be a controller for that. Would that be the black box bolted to the left side of the motor? The oil sensor wires run into it.

Thanks Steve

Griffzar

Cadet

There is no temp guage the sending unit go's to beeper as you guessed, trim sensor wire to guage.

Thanks Cajunmerc,
Does the temp sensor wire directly to the buzzer or is there a control unit?

thanks Steve

carholme

Rear Admiral

Steve;

Did you manage to copy the service manual I sent you in post # 7 as it has the schematic for your engine which shows item 12, the temp sensor with a tan wire and item 13, a water temp switch, with a black wire which converts to a tan/blue wire going forward to the controller.

Which wire are you talking about?

If you didn't get and copy the manual, go here:

http://search.ebscohost.com/

User ID Marshall
Password Public

Select "Small Engine Repair", the select "Marine Boat Motors", scroll down and select "Mariner", then 135 and allow 30 seconds for the page to load. When it loads, there will be 20 pages and your schematic will be on page 10.

Yes the controller is the box next to the drivers seat.

Gerry

Griffzar

Cadet

Hi Gerry,
I really appriciate the help and advice, Really man the info you have provided goes well beyond what one would expect on a forum. Thanks for going out of your way to help.

I couldn't open the manual on the original link, But I do have it now with you second set of instructions. Thanks so much.

There is no branding on the controller so I can't tell you what make it is. I'm sure I can figure out whats going on with the info you have provided, already a couple of questions have been answered just with the schematic.

One further question The tan wire from the temperature sensor going to the controller does it connect directly to the buzzer? is the temp sensor a NTC (negative temperature coeficient) Variable resistor or a switching device?

Thanks again Steve

carholme

Rear Admiral

Steve;

First of all, here is the parts listing for your engine which is a model 7135412S:

http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/ca/parts-search.html#epc::mc4952275mr1403

If you look under Reed Block and cylinder Head, you will see item 13, the Stbd temp sender and item 28, the port temp sender.

I presume that you have identified both of these on your engine and these are the two temp senders identified as items 12 and 13 on the electrical schematic which you have.

With these senders you have the option of connecting to a warning horn, gauge and optional visual warning device (light).

Can you confirm that you do have both temp senders installed because it will determine which one goes to the horn. Normally the tan/blue wire from the stbd sensor (basic on/off switch) will travel through pin 3 of the harness to the horn and the tan wire from the Port sensor (variable like a dimmer sw. in your house) will travel separately outside of the main harness to a temp gauge and/or warning light

Just to confuse things a bit more, here is a clearer schematic from a manual one up from yours but virtually the same wiring:

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/TwoStroke/878079/2d.pdf

See Pg 2D-19

And to confuse it even more, here is a link to various Mercury Control boxes to help you identify which one you have:

http://www.4shared.com/document/Gsz8M-KN/Merc_Controls_Newest_manual.html

I apologize if this is confusing but if you can determine that you do have both sensors and have identified their tan and tan/blue wiring, we will be getting closer.

Gerry