what is this linkage for/do connected to throttle in Merc. 110 9.8hp?

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
Johnny rude guy here in unfamiliar territory. I am in process of getting running an older 110 9.8 hp merc and after removing carb I now see this linkage that does not appear to connect to anything. Only guess I have is it has something to do with engaging the forward/rev. gear.
Can anyone tell me for sure and how to make sure it is in right place before I re install carb?
Thanks
mercpart1.jpgmercpart2.jpg

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: what is this linkage for/do connected to throttle in Merc. 110 9.8hp?

Yes I think it is part of the gear shift linkage. Hard to realy tell in the Photos, but you can go to Marineengines.com and they have exploided views of the parts of the shift linkage for viewing and ordering. All you need is the module # and SR# of the motor. :redface:
Hope it helps.

oldman570

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

I also want to let you know do not try to adjust or replace the points, as they are maker points and not breaker points. Just clean them with a dollar bill will usally make them work. They can be replaced but are real touchy to get set correctly. The last set I did took me almost 4 hrs. to get them just right for the resistance to be the same at both coils. Hope it fires right up after you work on the carb, and have it done and working.

oldman570

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks young man
I havnt gotten to ign yet but I got her to fire up with starter spray so I'm assuming all is well there. Other than replacing duct and elect tape from po. On wires. I've never seen an engine quite so ..... Well rigged up as this one. I don't thing there are any major probs other than carb job and cyl decarb. It's got those gapless plugs which look fine although one running leaner. It's just been so doctored up w tape. I'll post my progress

Rmoore45

Seaman

That linkage prevents the motor from being started in neutral with the throttle past "start". Keeps the engine from being over revved. If you look at it when you shift the motor into gear it should move to allow the throttle linkage to move past start, it also works vice versa keeping the motor from slipping out of gear when the throttle is past start. It should have a little spring keeping it held against the shifter gear. Move it with a screwdriver and see if it springs back to the shifter gear because it looks like it might be rigged.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I've never seen an engine quite so ..... Well rigged up as this one.
Must have had a Johnrude mechanic working on it as they dont understand the workings of a good engine....:D:D:D

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

Well I changed water pump, cleaned and reassembled Carb and the thing started on fist pull but I had to kill cuz I didn't expect that and had no bucket under it. Got some water in place and now it won't start. Think its flooded plus I'm leaking fuel from rigged hoses so I'm back to tearing it down.
I'll start a new thread w any problems I encounter.
Thanks...not to you fatzbull er I mean faztbullet. Lol :D

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Glad to hear that it fired up, and it's just piddley stuff now. The 110 is a fine motor that has always been a favorite of mine. They can be trouble to work on at first , but once you get by the first one you will sure remmber how to do the next one. I've had alot of fun boating times with mine and won't part with it even tho I've upgraded clear up since then.
Your always welcome here so come back anytime,

Oldman570