What tools are needed to take apart 1969 Merc 65HP outboard

xGH0ZTx

Seaman
I have already taken the outboard off the boat and removed the cowl with the lifting ring which I guess doubles as a flywheel puller.
I have never disassembled a motor. Are there any other special tools that I will need to purchase?

Also if anyone would like to give me any tips I appreciate it.
I want to replace all the seals because I was told that air was leaking in and messing up the ratio...

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What tools are needed to take apart 1969 Merc 65HP outboard

Your question is not clear. If you mean you want to disassemble the entire engine and have never done it before and then expect to find out why it is not working.,fix it and put it all back together........friend go for it but DONT plan to ever use the engine behind a boat cause you wont ever get it back together unless you are very very lucky...It takes a few special tools depending on the model (mercurys are known not to be easy to work on)but more important it requires a good working knowledge of HOW everything works and the proper way to take them apart.You may not need to disassemble the entire engine to fix it. Get a repair manual first if you are serious.

mr 88

Commander

I agree with Mouse.My question is,who told you it was "air was leaking in and messing up the ratio"? Was it a certified mechanic that did diagnostic work on it to verify that was the problem or someone at the launch ramp.I am not trying to be smart,just hate to see you rip it apart based on hearsay.If you find yourself up against it there is a Merc mechanic with a warehouse full of vintage Merc parts and motors who also repairs classics.Located by Letchworth State Park,maybe 1 1/2 hour drive from Bsville.Send me a PM if you need any info on him.

xGH0ZTx

Seaman

I was told by the mechanic that looked it over when I was vacationing in the Adirondacks. I believe I must take it apart a fair deal to get at the gasket I must replace. Cylinder gasket I assume? Would like to replace whatever I can to be sure.

I have come to terms with the probability that I may "fix" it beyond human repair. In that case I may need to get a new outboard.
I have the manual and hope that it is something that I can do myself...

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was told that also after going thru the entire fuel/Ignition systems. My 1965 65hp would ONLY run at WOT. A Merc guy (privite shop) told me it could only be the top or bottom crankshaft seal sucking air. It ended up being the magneto cap, leaking high voltage across the terminals. Of course yours is probably a different ignition system than mine.

mr 88

Commander

After reading 1960s reply I would get a second opinion.There is no head or cylinder gasket's.The manual is also a good place to begin with.Check all electrical components vs what the manual specs calls for.Exactly what are the symptoms? Many times a mechanic may tell you whats "wrong" with it without ever doing any diagnostic work on it.Why? wants you to buy a new or newer motor from the shop or does not know how to work on the vintage motors and or cannot be bothered for other reasons,like he may be in over his head or there is simpler work lined up.Is there a possibility that the crank gaskets are bad,sure but then again you may go through all that trouble and still have the same problem, whatever that is, after you put it back together.

xGH0ZTx

Seaman

My gut reaction is to trust this mechanic which is not the norm for me. also the logic is there for what he is telling me...

Main hangup on a second opinion is that the motor has already been taken off and is in the stand in my garage.
The plan is to change the seals I can get to and also the fluids.