Plastic Mercury Junk

1991seapro25

Recruit
I have a 91 Mercury sea pro that I am trying to get back into shape. the big problem i have is that the linkage from the throttle cam to the shift shaft lever is not staying together. I am pretty sure it is because it is a horrible design. (plastic connectors on aluminum rods). I have already re-vamped the shift-shaft side of the linkage, but now the plastic junk socket on the cam continues to break. Has anyone tried anything different other than buying50 of these pieces and keep replacing them? Other than this problem this engine is a gem.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Plastic Mercury Junk

I have a '02 90 triple and just discovered the same thing. I bought the engine 2 year used in '04 and found out recently that the plastic crap you refer to was broken on mine as well. I just replaced it and got it all ironed out with a lot of emotional involvement.

I have a record of my horrifying experience I encountered in the process of solving this problem, but I am not at all satisfied with the POS crap that the marine industry is dumping on us these days for whatever reason, EPA mandates, economy of design, moving it all over to low cost countries where they can get assembled for $2 and sell it for $2000 which seems to be the corporate policy these days with our 9% unemployment, but it satisfies the EPA and the corporate CEO's and their millions of annual compensation.

Name withheld in contempt!