HELP carb problems with mariner 25 2 stroke 88-90 model

sbrokerboy

Recruit
Help don't know what to do, I have this little 25 hp motor and I can pump up the carb bowl with the bulb on the fuel line it will start right up then run for a little while and starve out for fuel, I have rebuilt the carb/fuel pump and it still does it, fuel is getting to the top of the carb as when I pull the line off there is fuel on the spigot. but for some reason it is not pumping down in the bowl. I have taken the carb apart 3 times, I have soaked it in carb cleaner solution, bown it out with compressed air. I have even tried to put an electric fuel pump on it. It gets fuel to the top of the carb and then nothing further.

It is a bran new fuel line, and tank.

Thoughts?

1991seapro25

Recruit
Re: HELP carb problems with mariner 25 2 stroke 88-90 model

you said it was a new fuel tank and line. is the bulb flattening out on you? i had this same problem with my sea pro and could not figure it out until i realized the pick-up line in the tank was actually bent in such a way that the end was sticking above the surface of the fuel. i never thought to check this myself because it was a brand new can.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Did you check the float and needle setting?
Should not need an electric fuel pump.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Almost sounds as tho the carb is still pluged up or the fuel passages are pluged. The fuel pump diaphram might also be pin holed or cracked. carb cleaner will losen varnish and cause it to plug the passages. Put a piece of clear hose between the filter and pump to see if the rest of the fuel system is air tight, bubbles will appear if there is a air leak from the tank to the carb. Then you will be sure it is the carb or from there to the tank. I belive you will find that the new line or tank vent is bad. See if it will run with the tank cap off.
Let us know happens.

Oldman570

sbrokerboy

Recruit

So here is the update, first off I need to give thanks to Riverside Marine in Little rock arkansas for opening @ 5 AM (thats right 5 am) I bought the rebuild kit from them, and called them with my problem, it seems that they made a change in the gasket that are on the carb between the crankcase and the carb.

Even though the one it comes with LOOKS LIKE THE RIGHT ONE, it is not. There is another that comes in the kit that looks nothing like the one from the factory. When I was matching up gaskets I used the one in the kit that looked likethe one on the carb, as it tuns out it was blocking the hole from the crankcase and the carb was not getting proper pressure to move the fuel pump.

Case solved I guess.