Stuck Teleflex Cable on Tilt tube (PICS) **SOLVED*** 2 more pics

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello Guys!
Maybe you can bring ideas on how to pull this guy from the tilt tube here we go.

On the first picture I have the "Sleeve 1" 2 inches out of the tilt tube, here is where the cable stuck and there is no way until now to pull it in or out. If I turn the steering wheel the "Sleeve 2" goes in or out but stop at some point, the "Sleeve 1" doesnt move in any way. I try to hammer the cable out but not success. The last picture show the end of the cable thru a mirror view and here is the "funny" thing when the "sleeve 2" goes in or out this end doesnt move in any way, so I think this cable is already broke too in some point... What you think guys? . As always thank for any suggestion.
pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stuck Teleflex Cable on Tilt tube (PICS)

Now that you "mushroomed" the end of the cable you have another issue. YOu made the cable end even bigger. You have two options at this point. Cut the cable on the starboard side of the tube and drive it out of the tube toward the port side. Yes - you then need a new cable. Option two is to try to get the end of the cable back out the port side. Grind it round again. The spray the tube liberally with a Tri-Flo, or any other penetrating solvent. Let it sit, repeat, sit, repeat. After each waiting period, move the wheel back and forth, looking for the slightest gain in movement. Don't force the issue. Patience will win here.

krakatoa

The end of the cable is just fine there is no need to grind it, look again the last pic, the cable is inside the tilt tube, If need to grind must be at the starboard side. And yes, once I resolve this issue I will install a new cable. One of the big questions here is why the end of the cable doesnt move when the "sleeve 2" goes in or out, and or course the first one is how to loose the sleeve 1 from tilt tube.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

#2 stays in the tilt-tube while #1 comes out of #2. Can you tap #2 back into the tilt-tube while holding on to #1?

krakatoa

the one that stays in the tilt tube is the #1, tap it very carefully but it is really stuck, I was avoiding to disconnect the O/B but it looks that I have no choice. I will remove the O/B to get better space to work with, I will keep posted, hope to get this ready for Friday.

narvlebenoit

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the cable is nogood anyway put some vicegrip pliers on it and tap it out.

krakatoa

I still believe that the cable is in working condition I will go the hard way to fix this up.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Krak, I think Silvertip gave good advice. Hammering on the end of the cable will mushroom it. The reason why it pulled out a bit is because the tilt tube is different diameters, due to the rusting. Follow Silvertip's advice, and make sure to clean and regease the entire steering rod. If you must hammer it, use a bolt or something as a drift to avoid hammer contact.

krakatoa

Yeap I know but I will remove the O/B to get more room to work on, I just hammer it a little bit, I dont want to ruin the cable, off course it envolve lot of patiente plus WD40, hope to get it ready this Friday, will keep updating this thread.

krakatoa

Re: Stuck Teleflex Cable on Tilt tube (PICS) **SOLVED*** 2 more pics

Well finally I solved my stuck teleflex issue. Here are the steps I went thru...

1. Just have to remove the O/B from stern
2. Carefully apply heat to the O/B tilt tube where the cable stuck on
3. Pull the cable to Starboard with vice grip trying not to "hurt" the cable
4. Clean up the tilt tube from any rust and or debris.

There is NO NEED to hammer or tap the cable in anyway, and yes the Teleflex Cable is just fine and smooth....

pic6.jpg

pic5.jpg

and yes Im the man!!! :D

Attachments

• pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: