impeller install ?Mercury 9.8 HP.

petewv

Seaman Apprentice
I am trying to install a impeller in a 1965 9.8 Mercury outboard motor. Model 110 ser # 1875542
I tried to pry the impeller up from the shaft it would not move so I removed the rubber blades . Do I need to remove the hub or what look?s like a nut that is on the shaft? Is that part of the impeller? How do I get the hub or nut off of the shaft. I do not see a key. There also is a caseing in the housing does that also need to be removed?

Pete

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: impeller install ?Mercury 9.8 HP.

With what you describe I need a picture to tell what you are talking about...foreign parts for what is supposed to be associated with the water pump.

The impeller comes off including the bronze ring that encircles the drive shaft. There is a key under the impeller which locks it to the drive shaft.

If the impeller "collar" won't slide up the shaft (normally) you could put the collar/shaft in a vise and smack it with a sharp chisel which would deform it and in doing so break it loose whereas you could slide it off. I wouldn't use heat as there is the upper lower unit oil seal immediately below it (the water pump assembly) and you could damage it.

Mark

petewv

Seaman Apprentice

i will get you a picture later

thanks pete

petewv

Seaman Apprentice

DSCF1383.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1381.jpg
    DSCF1381.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 0

Rmoore45

Seaman

Yes, that part does come off. I removed it by grabbing it with needle nose pliers and giving it a good yank. A key should be under the bronze "nut" be sure not to lose it. The aluminum/steel piece that is in there can be taken out and replaced if its in bad condition.

When installing the new impeller, use some vaseline to hold the key on the shaft, then put a zip tie around the new impeller to get the vanes to fold over. Line up the key way on the new impeller with the key on the shaft and slowly press the impeller on.

I just did it on my 9.8, it took a few tries but I finally got it on.

petewv

Seaman Apprentice

i cut the nut off with a small wood chisel. it was a easy job . thinks for the help next job will be to order the impeller and put it back togeather. i am sure you will here from me again. does this motor have a thermostat or any other parts i need to be concerned with to get good water flow?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

i cut the nut off with a small wood chisel. it was a easy job . thinks for the help next job will be to order the impeller and put it back togeather. i am sure you will here from me again. does this motor have a thermostat or any other parts i need to be concerned with to get good water flow?

For a '65 probably not. OMC came on board with stats much earlier than Merc. Merc used the fast rise 40kv ignition to bypass the stat requirement and it probably was for reliability reasons; i.e. if you didn't have a stat, it couldn't get stuck shut and ruin your engine (which happened to me on a '75 70hp Evinrude)....no over temp alarms back then. Additionally it had to be wired to an alarm transducer somewhere and for most manual start engines it had to get operating voltage from somewhere.

Back in those days they had points and plugs and they just used magneto pulses to the primary of an ignition coil to produce the high voltage used to fire the plugs. No battery charger, no electronic ignition, no alarms....pretty simple and you could fix it yourself........buttttt in comes todays innovations and the rest is history.

Lotta memory here but I am pretty sure I am correct or I wouldn't waste your time.

HTH,

Mark

Rmoore45

Seaman

There is no thermostat on my '78 9.8 so I would not think there would be one on yours.

Wayne_N

Recruit

My Dad is working on our 1984 Merc 9.8. I was helping him (not very much) by staring at that same impeller bolt, wondering why it won't simply slide up and out of the pump like the manual implies that it should lol! He has already been trying to yank it out with needle nosed plyers, but I can tell that ain't gonna work! Thank goodness for the power of google and your post which I just printed this out for him. He's pretty good with chisels - I'm sure with your inspiration he'll have it off in no time :)

Wayne_N

Recruit

My Dad is working on our 1984 Merc 9.8. I was helping him (not very much) by staring at that same impeller bolt, wondering why it won't simply slide up and out of the pump like the manual implies that it should lol! He has already been trying to yank it out with needle nosed plyers, but I can tell that ain't gonna work! Thank goodness for the power of google and your post which I just printed this out for him. He's pretty good with chisels - I'm sure with your inspiration he'll have it off in no time :)

Ok Houston, we have a problem.

He tried the chisel approach, and the impeller bolt went down the shaft a bit. Anti-progress being made lol!

Trying again to use the needle nosed plyers to pull it up isn't working. So, we know that it slid down, but we can't get it back up to even where we started, let alone right off. Here is a pic:

merc-impeller.jpg

A question my Dad has is "should we be able to slide it straight up without having to rotate it at all?".

He is asking that because in the Seloc manual, in the "assembling type B" section, it says "Position the impeller drive pin on the driveshaft. Slide a NEW impeller down over the driveshaft. Position the impeller drive pin groove approximately 1/8 turn COUNTERCLOCKWISE from the impeller drive pin. Exert a downward pressure on the impeller and at the same time rotate the impeller clockwise and slide it down over the drive pin".

We have no idea why, when assembling, that method of rotating is required. I mean, why no just align the drive pin groove with the drive pin all the way? So, we don't get that, and maybe that rotating needs to be done also when removing the impeller?

And a question that I have is, if we do seriously try removing that collar/nut with a chisel, can the downward force exerted on the collar/nut cause problems down below?

Thanks!

petewv

Seaman Apprentice

i think the reason you need to rotate the new impeller is because the rubber blades are bigger than the pump housing and it makes it easer to get the impeller into the pump housing.

You need to read all the information that was given to me on the installation of the impeller. The way I got the rubber blades into the housing was to use some Vaseline.

I drilled a hole in a pc of plywood that was a little smaller than then the blades so the blades would have a bend to them so I could get the impeller blades started into the pump housing.

I did not rotate the drive shaft to get the old impeller off I cut the rubber blades off first then cut the soft brass nut off with a SHART 1/8 INCH WOOD chisel. i did not do any damage the nut was very soft and easy to remove. My motor is 1967 it did not have a removable key; there was a small around dowel that stuck out on the drive shaft that the grove on the impeller slid over.

I WAS LUCKY I DID NOT DAMAGE THE SMALL DOWEL(lack of a better word)

carholme

Rear Admiral

Your engine s/n is actually:

9,8 110 2-cyl 1865779 2098351 1966 USA

From here:

Mercury 2-takt, 2-cyl, 9,8-15 hp, produktions?r, modellguide

It is a model 1100106

Parts list for model 1100106:

MERC 1100 - Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. Parts Lookup

See under GEAR HOUSING ASSEMBLY, COMPLETE (PAGE 1) for the stackup of the waterpump assy.

The service manual for your engine is P/N: 90-68647

Mercury Outboards 1966 Thru 1974 (Service Manual) C-90-68647 by Mercury Marine: Fair, Softcover, $52.13 at Alibris Marketplace Not a bad price considering that they are usually about $90-100

In the interim, here is a link to the condensed version of the Clymer manual. Download it soonest to your computer as the link is short lived.

Small Engine Repair Reference Center Home: MERCURY - MERC 60 AND 110.

Gerry

Wayne_N

Recruit

i think the reason you need to rotate the new impeller is because the rubber blades are bigger than the pump housing and it makes it easer to get the impeller into the pump housing.

You need to read all the information that was given to me on the installation of the impeller. The way I got the rubber blades into the housing was to use some Vaseline.

I drilled a hole in a pc of plywood that was a little smaller than then the blades so the blades would have a bend to them so I could get the impeller blades started into the pump housing.

I did not rotate the drive shaft to get the old impeller off I cut the rubber blades off first then cut the soft brass nut off with a SHART 1/8 INCH WOOD chisel. i did not do any damage the nut was very soft and easy to remove. My motor is 1967 it did not have a removable key; there was a small around dowel that stuck out on the drive shaft that the grove on the impeller slid over.

I WAS LUCKY I DID NOT DAMAGE THE SMALL DOWEL(lack of a better word)

Thanks petewv! My Dad actually managed to get off the impeller. He initially created a makeshift clamp to get it out a ways, and then he used a chisel or hacksaw blade (not sure which) to finish the job. Lotsa fun lol!

When he removed it, there was no "pin" or "removable key". Instead, the driveshaft has a flat area as shown below:

mercury-shaft.jpg

This is another mystery for us, because we don't know how the new impeller is supposed to get locked onto the driveshaft without a pin. Any ideas?

Gerry: thanks, but fyi, I highjacked this thread, and I am dealing with a "type b" 1984 9.8, and I have the related Seloc manual.

petewv

Seaman Apprentice

Make sure you order the impeller that is made for that motor. No idea on how it may work. I would get a parts list for that motor may show another piece. It may be the same idea has trying to put a around pig in a square hole.

Wayne_N

Recruit

Petewv: thanks.

Mohawkmtrs: thanks...

Serial# 7215105, Canadian model I'm sure:

MERCURY OUTBOARD MODEL YEAR GUIDE 7.5 - 9.9 HP -- Mastertech Marine

So it should be this one: 9.8 1984 M 6438338 - 6620195 7208898

Based on your parts list, the item that we are missing is "24".

These are the relevant parts of my Seloc manual:

merc-manual-2_std.jpgmerc-manual-1_std.jpg
Edit: sorry, I can't seem to get that one rotated properly.

The parts diagram calls it a "key", but the paragraph calls it a "impeller drive pin".

Regardless of what they call it, it wasn't there. So that's the mystery. We'll be sure to get input from our local dealer when we go to buy the new impeller.

Thanks

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks petewv! My Dad actually managed to get off the impeller. He initially created a makeshift clamp to get it out a ways, and then he used a chisel or hacksaw blade (not sure which) to finish the job. Lotsa fun lol!

When he removed it, there was no "pin" or "removable key". Instead, the driveshaft has a flat area as shown below:

QUOTE]

There is a key (or pin) somewhere, How do I know? Because mine fell down into the bottom of the pump when I redid mine. Good luck!

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class

The flat section on the shaft is there the "key" sits, with the "hump" facing out to the inside of the impeller. The "key' can be held in place with a dab of grease on the shaft. Make sure the blades on the impeller are facing in the correct direction [opposite the direction of rotation] when you place it into the impeller casing.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???----There is no " nut " inside the pump.----The impeller can be pried out with 2 screwdrivers !!!