What is this hole where water is coming from under the cowl? 92 115 hp mercury

kjboggs

Seaman Apprentice
Just redid my fuel lines, new bulb, and rebuild fuel pump on my 1992 mercury 115 4 cyl. Put it on the muffs to start it up and make sure everything is running good. Everything was fine, but I had the cowl off to look for leaks and noticed this spot where water was coming out of a little hole on the back of the engine beside the plugs. I dont think this is right for water to be coming out under the cowl and on the back of the engine like that. But everything was running right, and water pump pumping good. I even put my finger over the hole and it stopped the water as it didnt feel like there was much pressure, and didnt make any difference? Everything seems good but this leak if anyone can shed some light on whether this is correct or not, and if not what is the proper way to fix???

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• motor 1.JPG
    motor 1.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 0
  • motor 3.JPG
    motor 3.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 0
  • motor 2.JPG
    motor 2.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 0

Laddies

Banned
Re: What is this hole where water is coming from under the cowl? 92 115 hp mercury

Thats the poppit valve leaking the diaphragm needs to be replaced

kjboggs

Seaman Apprentice
Re: What is this hole where water is coming from under the cowl? 92 115 hp mercury

Is that a sign of something wrong, or overheating, or just something that wears out over time?

thanks,

Laddies

Banned

The poppit valve is a pressure relief for the cooling system and opens at high speed to allow more cooling water to the engine so it should be replaced