1962 Kienhaefer Mercury 6hp outboard missing part.

UncleWillie

Captain
I just purchased a 1962 Kienhaefer Mercury 6hp outboard (Sn.1488193) a few hour ago.
The previous owner stated that it ran but the starter rope "Broke" the last time he tried it.
The rope pulls out but does not return. I took the starting clutch apart and all seem well.
He tried to fix it without success.

The spring is good and well oiled.
The cap that secures the starter clutch seem to be a little empty.
A brown "Witness Mark" indicates that something with a touch of rust on it used to be in there.

Does anyone know that it looked like?
I am guessing it was some type of washer or spacer with a long bent tab that went down the hole. ???
A photo would be great.
I have a mini machine shop in the garage and can make a workable replacement.
I just need a clue!!

Bill.

IMG_6923.jpgIMG_6925.jpg

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: 1962 Kienhaefer Mercury 6hp outboard missing part.

The nut and sheave washer are there.
They are still on the clutch, but below the cover.
That explains why the rope does not line up with the "fair-lead" pulley.

Is it just cranking down the nut that keeps the center of the clutch from turning, or does something go down the hole to key the clutch into place?

Thanks!!! Bill.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: 1962 Kienhaefer Mercury 6hp outboard missing part.

I just look at it again.
It looks like everything is there, and that the original "Failure" is due to the 50 years old grease having passed the "Molassas in January" stage and is now as thick as 5 minute epoxy, 6 minutes after it was mixed.
I will need to clean it all out and regrease it with some fresh stuff! I should be able to update this weekend.
It feels like the focus ring on a classic 35mm camera. Smooth, but real sloooooow.

Any chance you know where I can Download a service Manual for the motor?

Bill.