2008 Mercury 50 hr ELP motor shuts down when going from wake speed to full speed

Dano101

Recruit
Two trips ago the aluminum prop hit something and the engine died and a piece of one of the blades broke off. I replaced the prop with the same pitch and size but this time I went with a stainless prop. The next trip which was 2 weeks later everything seemed alright the engine ran good. After multiple runs to different fishing places the engine all of sudden wouldn?t run at wide open speeds, it would die out. The engine would start back up but seem to run a little rough. I was only able to run at a no wake speed. I checked fuel filter to see if it was clogged but it wasn?t.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 2008 Mercury 50 hr ELP motor shuts down when going from wake speed to full speed

You need to check a couple of things to determine if you have a fuel or ignition problem.

Start with inspecting the spark plugs and a spark test on each cyl, a fouled plug or a weak spark can idle fine but cause problems when the throttle opens.

Squeeze the primer bulb, if that improves running it may be a restricted fuel supply, the fuel pump may be failing. With the motor OFF, disconnect the fuel hose, pull the lanyard to kill the ignition, crank the motor and watch for a strong pulsed fuel stream. Any weakness in fuel supply can be caused by old fuel hoses, primer bulb, leaky fittings, or the fuel pump diaphragm getting hard. Check all, rebuild the pump, replace any old stiff, cracked hoses.

Repost your findings.

water world

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 2008 Mercury 50 hr ELP motor shuts down when going from wake speed to full speed

check stator voltage high side could be bad