will omc tachometer work on mercury 2.5L

20vector

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hello all. was wondering if a omc brand tachometer work on my 98 mariner 200efi? my boat came with a evinrude on it and had all omc gauges. after i put mariner on boat i put new teleflex tachometer on there didnt even try the omc just thought it wouldnt work. all my gauges look same except the tachometer and was looking for one that matched better. few guys told me that i could just buy the omc that it would work on my mariner and was about to cause it would match again. then guy told me it wouldnt work. nobody i know got one for me to try before i got one and dont want to buy a hundred dollar tachometer that wont work on my boat. thanks again in advance

20vector

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: will omc tachometer work on mercury 2.5L

hello again. the omc tachometers i see say " 6 PUL/REV" on them. i know my mariner has 12 POLES or 6 PULSE for when setting a tachometer for my motor. i see by what i read on the omc tachometer that it should work but im not for sure. like i said by one guy saying it wont work got me scared to buy a hundred dollar omc tachometer in fear that it wont work with my motor. really want to use the omc tachometer if it will work cause all my gauges will match again.thanks in advance...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: will omc tachometer work on mercury 2.5L

Try it. Newer non-OEM tachometers work with both kinds of motors. Set it for 6P and see if you believe the reading.