Replacing the Water Pump for 2008 2 Stroke Outboard Mercury 50 HP

HDC

Recruit
Hi All,
I'm trying to replace the water pump for my 2008 2 stroke Mercury 50. I'm only able to pull the lower unit about one inch apart from the engine after loosing the 5 nuts/bolts. Now I've put it back temporarily. Should the gear to be shifted to a certain gear (e.g. reverse) before removing the LU at the beginning? In order remove the lower unit, how and where to disconnect the wiring connections? I've watched serveral youtube videos on replacing the water pump; however, they did not show how to disconnect the wiring prior to taking out the LU.

Looking forward to your reply..

Thanks.

Tom

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Replacing the Water Pump for 2008 2 Stroke Outboard Mercury 50 HP

Tom;

Have you disconnected the shift shaft? Don't understand what wiring you are referring to when removing the LU, there shouldn't be any.

What is your engine s/n so I can see if I can get you the online manual for it.

Gerry

HDC

Recruit

Hi Gerry,
The serial# is 1B712683 and the model# is 1050412FD. After I wrote my post, I continued to read other online posting. I found that I need to disconnect the shift linkage. I shifted to neutral and loosen the coupler nut. I finally successfully removed the LU. I didn't find any crack or problem on the impellar and the gasket. I only found that the four screws of the water pump housng were a little loose. Now I've put it all back. However, I have another problem on the gear. When I removed the LU, the gear was in neutral. Afer I put it back, I found in forward gear, the prop cannot be turn to the left but it can be turned to the right with clicking sound. In reverse gear, the prop cannot be turned either side. In neutral, the prop can be turned freely to both side. I think I have missed some steps when I put the LU back. Do you or anyone know how to fix the gear problem?

Tom

gwukena

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nothing wrong. In forward, the prop will ratchet one way, be hard to turn the opposite. Neutral spin freely. Reverse hard to turn both ways.
As long as control position matches what the prop is doing, you're all good. (F-prop ratchets one way, hard to turn other, N-spins freely both ways, R-hard to turn both ways)

carholme

Rear Admiral

Tom;

Here is the service manual for your engine:

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/TwoStroke/852572r1/cover.pdf

You must have Adobe Acrobat reader installed to use this manual. If you scroll down to the lower part of the opening page, you will see the various engine components in red. Click on the one you want and when the first page opens, click on the "Save As" icon at the top LH corner of the page and you can save it to your computer.

Parts listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/11493.cfm

Hope you have things sorted now, if not, let us know.

Gerry

HDC

Recruit

Gerry,
I'll run an engine test tomorrow. Thanks for your information.

Regards,
Tom

HDC

Recruit

Hi again,
When I tested the engine and run it in neutral gear for about 20 seconds, I still did not get the stream of water coming out from the indicator hole but only some light smoke came out from the hole. If water pump is not the issue, it could be a blockage in the cooling system.
I removed the LU and re-examined the impeller and the gaskets and I did not find any problem. In order to check any blockage in the cooling system, can I connect a garden water hose to the brass water tube and let the water go through the cooling system and check the water whether will come out from the water pump indicator hole of a cold egine? If this is not a proper way to check it, is there any other suggestion?

Thanks.
Tom

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Worn water pump impellers are not always obvious and may look good. Why not replace the assembly (housing and impeller) then you know that part of the system is ok. You've now disassembled it twice with no solution. Why not do it once and then investigate the issue further if you still gon't get good flow. Using a water hose to check for pump operation is not a good check either as you would be simply "forcing" water through the system at house water pressure which is much higher than the pump pressure. If you have the lower unit off, you can use the hose to force water through the engine and the engine doesn't have to be running.