sea foam,starting fluid

rkerr

Cadet
Two things ,how much seafoam should i put in 6 gal of gas to clean carbs on my 1978 90 hp ,and does it hurt to spray starting fluid in all 3 carbs to get it going ,for the seafoam to get through them ,or anyone have a better ideal

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: sea foam,starting fluid

Yes on Sea Foam, specifically formulated many 10's of years ago (for OMC as the story goes). It contains a couple of chemicals which clean fuel up and help to prevent water problems but it also contains oil. So, in spraying it into the carbs a 2 cycle engine, unlike starting fluid it will lubricate as it helps your engine to start and clean up varnish and all the bad stuff.

I don't measure it. If I think I need 3 times the recommended dosage on the can (1 oz per gallon) I put it in. I learned of it here on iboats and bought my current boat in '04 with the engine being an '02. I have never had the carbs off and never had a bad fuel related malfunction. Only malfunction I had on that engine was a temperature sensitive CDI/CDM and a blast of stupidity on my part where I decided to tweak the slow speed jets and shouldn't have.

They have (the site has) a "decarb" process on here where you put in a heavy, heavy dose, let it sit for 15 minutes, crank it back up and run [you run, get up wind and do it at night so the neighbors don't call the fire department (grin) ]....from the oily exhaust. Then change the plugs and go with the recommended dosage.

HTH,

Mark

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: sea foam,starting fluid

Do not use starting fluid on a two stroke outboard. No lubrication in it and it is not a cleaning agent. Besides, carb clogging does not occur in the throat of the carb, it occurs inside the carb. Spraying stuff into the carb throat is like spraying it into the air. It does no good. Lastly, even if you do add it to the fuel, if the fuel cannot get through the internal passages i\the additive will do no good either. In those cases the carb needs to be totally disassembled, thoroughly cleaned and reassembled with a new kit.