Mercury 175 EFI 1998 with possible ECU problem

Bass Kelly

Recruit
Was wondering if anybody has ever ran into the same issue I have been having all summer. Basically, I have had my bass boat to three different mechanics that all gave it back to me unfixed. I could only give them a few weeks to investigate the problem because of tournaments, but they were not able to correctly diagnose the issue after a lot of hours put in.

What happens is my outboard will intermittently drop a bank of cylinders which is like losing half of its power. The engine will always start perfectly and actually sounds very good. After idling with half power for a various amount of time, the bank will kick on and I can get up on plane like it's a new engine. Then sometimes it looses the power and comes back on VERY quickly (almost instant). Some days are much worse than others. Also, my tach intermittently jumps around a little with the wrong readings. It might read 3000, when I know the engine is only at idle at about 1000. If watching it when my bank turns back on, it goes up about 400 rpms...thats when the tach is working properly.

Mechanics checked everything; fuel pumps, power packs, stator, spark, injectors etc. The toughest part is that this is an intermittent problem. The latest mechanic had two computers hooked up, and had trouble getting the engine to do it. Finally it lost power for them for about 20 seconds. The computer read it was the injector pulse signal to a certain bank. Nothing else showed up. He said it was the ECU, but was hesitant to commit to the repair with a $1500 part. I am stuck at this point with nobody wanting to do the repair and a broken boat. I might take a chance on the ECU if this sounds correct. I have also read something about the voltage regulator messing up a tach, but not sure if thats true. Any help with this is greatly appreciated! Brian

fisherman81654

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury 175 EFI 1998 with possible ECU problem

Was wondering if anybody has ever ran into the same issue I have been having all summer. Basically, I have had my bass boat to three different mechanics that all gave it back to me unfixed. I could only give them a few weeks to investigate the problem because of tournaments, but they were not able to correctly diagnose the issue after a lot of hours put in.

What happens is my outboard will intermittently drop a bank of cylinders which is like losing half of its power. The engine will always start perfectly and actually sounds very good. After idling with half power for a various amount of time, the bank will kick on and I can get up on plane like it's a new engine. Then sometimes it looses the power and comes back on VERY quickly (almost instant). Some days are much worse than others. Also, my tach intermittently jumps around a little with the wrong readings. It might read 3000, when I know the engine is only at idle at about 1000. If watching it when my bank turns back on, it goes up about 400 rpms...thats when the tach is working properly.

Mechanics checked everything; fuel pumps, power packs, stator, spark, injectors etc. The toughest part is that this is an intermittent problem. The latest mechanic had two computers hooked up, and had trouble getting the engine to do it. Finally it lost power for them for about 20 seconds. The computer read it was the injector pulse signal to a certain bank. Nothing else showed up. He said it was the ECU, but was hesitant to commit to the repair with a $1500 part. I am stuck at this point with nobody wanting to do the repair and a broken boat. I might take a chance on the ECU if this sounds correct. I have also read something about the voltage regulator messing up a tach, but not sure if thats true. Any help with this is greatly appreciated! Brian

I don't know much about your engine,but I do know that voltage regulators go bad and when they do it affects the tach for sure.
I would try unhooking the voltage regulator and see if it cures the problem.
Make sure the voltage regulator wires from the stator are not grounded,tape them off and try.
I'm sure someone else will give you more help on the fourm.
Good luck...

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

What is the voltage reading on volt gauge? A ECU cannot drop one bank as the injectors are fired in pairs. If in my shop and from want you posted this is what I would check first:
(1) rectifiers
(2) stator
(3) switchboxes as they can drop a bank
To troubleshoot it correctly you need to have it "break" and then test it. The ECU can be sent and tested for about $75 round trip.

FLATHEAD MAC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THEY MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO REPLICATE PROBLEM since little load on motor on test stand compaired to load on motor whin in the water. Just a thought. ??

Bass Kelly

Recruit

Great, thanks for the imput! I forgot to mention that the mechanics did have the boat in the water vs. running it in the shop. Also, I did throw two brand new power packs and a new stator at the engine this summer which didn't fix the problem. I am not sure on the voltage readings and don't think I am mechanically inclined enough to figure that out. I am not too concerned about the tach, just wasn't sure if its related to the main problem. I just pulled out the latest mechanic receipt and figure I will quote his diagnosis quick; "Connect CDS + DDT to motor and check for codes, none found. Check TPS readings - ok. Check all sensors - ok. Launch and run on water to duplicate problem. Problem occured one time for 20 seconds. CDS showed problem with ECM injector pulse width on bank #1." Getting the ECM checked first might be a good idea before just buying a new one. I was also looking at a few used ones for half the cost.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Take a very close look at the yellow wires connecting the stator to the voltage rectifiers and the back side of the rectifiers. you are looking for discoloration from heating. Often the bullet connectors are marginal and will heat, discoloring the wires, sometimes the potting on the back of the rectifier will clearly show an internal burn.

Disconnect the yellow stator wires, tape each one to ensure no shorting out anywhere and test run the boat. Beware of battery voltage as the charging system will be inactive and the tach will be disabled.

If this 'cures' your problem, replace the rectifiers but cut off the bullet connecters, crimp and solder each yellow wire to eliminate any possibility of a poor connection.

It also wouldn't hurt to check the condition of your batteries, make sure they are charged and take them in to be load tested.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Also check trigger wires for possible broken yet abutted wire, dropping a pair of cyl's at one point in the movement of the trigger wiring.

Pull the lanyard to kill the ignition, disconnect the throttle cable, remove all spark plugs to save wear and tear on the starter and battery.

DVA test each trigger cranking while slowly moving the throttle WOT and back and wiggling the trigger wires. Any drop in trigger output on even one trigger wire indicates a problem, which can cause the switchboxes to fail to fire.

Bass Kelly

Recruit

Thanks! I took a look at the yellow wire bullet connectors and a few of them show signs of heat (brown in color) Supposingly, the mechanics checked all wires and connections stating they were good. I will take some more time to inspect them. I found another discussion with the same exact type of problem I am having; http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1294613583 They didn't figure it out after replacing the trigger, stator, and switchboxes. Is the ECU a definite possibiliy too besides the rectifiers?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

ECU/Fuel system and the ignition system have nothing in common except for the motor/battery/ground.

Both are separate independent systems.

Spark failure is not an ECU problem.

Intermittent spark problems are THE toughest nut to crack, a broken yet abutted trigger can cause intermittent failure on a PAIR of cyls. But to drop all three on one side has to be either a stator, switchbox, or possibly a loose magnet in the flywheel. One other thought, a top crank bearing, allowing any flywheel to stator contact, that would instantly droop stator voltage and cause a momentary ignition failure.

veritek_dragger

Seaman Apprentice

So have you fixed the problem? I am having the EXACT same issue with my 1996 mariner and its driving me crazy. I just replaced the stator today, no luck. Now going to order the switchboxes, not sure if this is going to fix the problem. I am over it and want this fixed already...tournament season is here! Let me know, thanks!

picflight

Cadet

Very interesting problem, I wish the OP had responded back with details and if they fixed it.

Fun Times

Staff member

Very interesting problem, I wish the OP had responded back with details and if they fixed it.
Hi there picflight, welcome to iboats!

Yes it would be very nice if the original posters would come back online and let us all know what the solution was but unfortunately most members do not.:( So that is one reason why the hosts of iboats would rather let old threads like this one sit down in the archives instead of bringing them back up where other members might try to answer the original posters question for no reason since the last time he was online here at iboats was back on November 21st, 2011 @01:14 PM.

So in the future, please take note of the red banner near the bottom of the screen asking you not to post to old threads. The best thing to do is too try and send the original posters a private message with a link to the thread in question to see if by chance he gets his PM notices to his email asking him to please respond.

Also please see our announcement linked below. Thank you, iboats moderation team.

Announcements - Mercury & Mariner Outboards