Mercury 50 hp 1992 will not start

1992 Merc 50hp; new coils, wires, plugs, and power pack. Have fire at plugs, getting fuel. WILL NOT START, FIRE, BACKFIRE, NOTHING. Someone suggested the stator not supplying enough voltage to fire fuel. I don't know how to check. Fishing trip/vacation planned....HELP

fisherman81654

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury 50 hp 1992 will not start

1992 Merc 50hp; new coils, wires, plugs, and power pack. Have fire at plugs, getting fuel. WILL NOT START, FIRE, BACKFIRE, NOTHING. Someone suggested the stator not supplying enough voltage to fire fuel. I don't know how to check. Fishing trip/vacation planned....HELP
If you are getting good spark and fuel to the cylinders,that only leaves one thing,compression.

Ballymac

Seaman

If you have spark, compression & timing - check that you have fuel getting to the cylinders. How do your plugs look? Wet? Dry? Take a spray bottle & fill it with your fuel mix. Open the throttle plates & spray some fuel into the carbs while cranking the engine... Don't flood it... - Possible your stator is the problem. Just seems odd you replaced a number of ignition components and didn't test the stator. I would have checked that before I replaced the power packs & coils. Also, make sure everything is connected properly to the power pack. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

How are you checking spark? If it wont jump a 3/8 air gap it wont fire under compression..Laying sparkplug on block is not a good test as if spark is weak it will still arc.

MercMan82

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does it have a tiller handle or throttle control? It won't start unless it's in neutral.

I was laying plug on block. Spark will not jump 1/4" gap, 3/16 if I'm lucky. Don't know how to test stator.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Spark will not jump 1/4" gap, 3/16 if I'm lucky.
Ta DaH!!!! theres your problem. Either cranking rpm is low or stator has weak output.

Cranking rpm is perfect. So it i's the stator? ! I've ben having to start at plugs and go backwards. Thanks everyone