Greasing?

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class
There are two grease fittings on the front of my motor. They are about eight inches apart, right were the steering cable hooks on. I tried to grease them as recommended. One would take grease the other would not? I took the one out to see if it was plugged and it wasn't.
Any thoughts on the problem.

Thanks
Don

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Greasing?

With the grease fitting out probe it with a pick to break up any crud buildup. Put fitting back in and try greasing while someone is turning the steering wheel back and forth.

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class

I took the fitting out and could not find any crud in there. I poked a small bass rod in and notting. It's not the steering it's the tilt tube. The motor is new, about two years old so there shouldn't be any crud. Is there any way to take the tilt tube off with out taking the motor off the boat?

Don

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I have found that some new interfaces have such tight tolerances that adding grease is a problem. So, my thoughts when I encounter one, is to verify operation of the interface as you did, then keep trying, ever so often, till it decides it wants some.

Mark

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guy's! Going to winterize Friday so I'll try tilting it up and down as I grease it.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guy's! Going to winterize Friday so I'll try tilting it up and down as I grease it.

That surely can help especially if the no grease acceptance is caused by inner diameter pressure against the zerk interface .

Mark