Still difficult turning left after adjustment

zebtacular

Recruit
Just bought a new 2012 Excel Stalker 2172 with a CC. It has a 90 HP Mercury optimax on the back and I have taken it out on the water twice. First time I took it out if was extremely difficult to turn left when traveling. So I brought it to the dealership for them to adjust the fin for me. The next day I took it out and it was still very difficult to turn left. That evening I adjusted the fin the rest of the way allowable which was only "one click" more. That was Sunday so I have not been able to bring it out to see if this will fix it, but I don't think it will. It is very dangerous as is because of the many sharp turns I take to get from where I put in and travel to get to the bay.

I have to bring it in today for them to install the trolling motor that was thrown in with the purchase so I am going to ask them to drive the boat on their private pond and see what they can do to make it steer correctly.

Is my 21'-7" boat too much for a 90 HP engine? Is there anything else the dealership can do to fix this problem other than installing power steering or something? Either way, they are going to have to fix it or something for free or they will be taking this boat back.

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Still difficult turning left after adjustment

Which way did you turn the fin? If the boat wants to turn right, you want to point the leading edge of the fin towards the right. Does the wheel pull to the right or is it just hard to turn left....ie: if you let go of the wheel does the boat turn right? In my experience the fin adjustment will help if it's pulling one way or the other, but won't help you turn. Could be something in the steering mechanism.....the dealer should help you trouble shoot. Sometimes if you trim up just a tad while up on plane, you will feel it stop pulling.

zebtacular

Recruit

They moved the fin to point to the right. When I let go of the steering wheel it ran straight. In fact, when I am turning to the right and have completed my turn (which turning left to go straight again), the wheel is steady when I am re gripping the wheel to complete its rotation. In other words, if I were to let go in mid turn left or right the steering wheel does not move.

I tried the trim at all depths and noticed the same problem. The first time I noticed it was the moment I put it into the water and was putting out into the bayou from the dock. It was even difficult to turn left then. It moves relatively free when the engine is off or in neutral.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If you have the no feedback Teleflex steering console, you can turn loose of the wheel in mid turn and it hold. With this system, releasing the wheel when dead ahead won't say anything about the position of the trim tab.

I'd disconnect the steering cable from the front of the engine and rotate both through the full lock to lock turning radius. See if both are smooth and feel as there is equal resistance throughout the range. If not, go after what's not right. How does the steering feel when sitting on the trailer?

Other thing is if you have some hard bends in the cable. Areas that are at risk are at the output of the helm where the cable usually has to take a pretty good bend to comply with the boat's parts and at the engine where the cable enters the tilt tube.

Since you have a problem in only one direction, the inner cable could have a kink in it that only shows up when turning left. Otherwise, there really isn't anything that would cause that kind of a problem that I can think of.

90 HP on a 22 ft boat isn't going to give you stellar results especially when you get into big water and have several folks and gear on board. Course if you aren't in a hurry to get anywhere, no big deal.

My 2c,

Mark

zebtacular

Recruit

It seems that the steering could be looser when on the trailer, but I will confirm when I get home because I really can't remember. I am supposed to bring it in today to get my trolling motor put on, so I will make sure they focus on checking out my steering cables first. I will let them do it since it's brand new. I have been breaking in the engine as directed in the manual. Occasionally it says to go full throttle for 15 seconds and it gets up to 45 mph and climbing before I have to ease it back down to below 4500 rpm, so to me that is good. Then again I have never owned a boat with an engine over 35 HP lol.

Thank you the advice.

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It seems that the steering could be looser when on the trailer, but I will confirm when I get home because I really can't remember. I am supposed to bring it in today to get my trolling motor put on, so I will make sure they focus on checking out my steering cables first. I will let them do it since it's brand new. I have been breaking in the engine as directed in the manual. Occasionally it says to go full throttle for 15 seconds and it gets up to 45 mph and climbing before I have to ease it back down to below 4500 rpm, so to me that is good. Then again I have never owned a boat with an engine over 35 HP lol.

Thank you the advice.

Doesn't sound like a trim tab/fin issue....sounds more like a steering cable with a hard bend in it causing it to bind up. Your dealer should take care of it no doubt.