25 hp Merc water pump help.

Alex from GA

Cadet
Tiller steered '96 Merc 25 2 cylinder 2 stroke. How do I disconnect the shift shaft to remove the lower unit? Thanks.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 25 hp Merc water pump help.

Alex;

That one should have a retainer setup on the powerhead. I can send you the service manual if you provide your engine s/n. The manual clearly shows the retainer I am referrring to.

Gerry

Mi duckdown

Commander

Look underneath the carb from the port side while shifting. you will see what needs to be dis ingaged. If the the lower unit is bolted back up.
SS screw on the shift shaft.

windy5849

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a flat washer on the shift shaft that must be installed when reassembling.Page 6A-13 shows the correct position,don't lose or forget about putting it back in during assembly.

Alex from GA

Cadet

Thanks guys. I figured the shift shaft out the first thing this morning, changed the impeller and put it together. It wouldn't tilt so I took it to a shop. Yes the washer was missing. I found one in the gravel in the carport and stuck it in the boat earlier and it was the missing washer. $40 later I have a whole boat. It still was cheaper than taking it in for a water pump service.