grease in the piston pin

1970Thunderbird

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all,

when I had my block machined, the machinist also put new needle bearings in the piston end of the crank. To hold them in place while installing, he said he used purple lithium grease.

I've heard that this isn't a good thing, as the grease won't easilt come out, thus preventing the two cycle oil from properly lubricating the bearing.

Do I need to wash the grease out before I try to seat the pistons? Or am I worrying too much aboiut this? For what it's worth, I used vaseline in the bearings on the crank end, as I've read it melts out easily.

Thanks!

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: grease in the piston pin

Hello:

What engine are you talking about (Make, Model, HP rating, Serial #, Ect)?

robert graham

Admiral

It's a pretty good bet that any grease will melt and flow out as soon as the motor is cranked up to temperature. There must be something better to worry about than this!;)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Yes wash it out.Use any assembly lube or oil.
If it's something that worries you then it's important.

1970Thunderbird

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's a 1978 mercury 800.

I would think it would melt out, but I'd hate for something to mess it up.

MercMan82

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would think that if it weren't safe, mercury wouldn't have recommended using it that way in the factory manual. Btw, I just rebuilt my 1150 and I did use lithium grease, runs like a champ.

1970Thunderbird

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ah, I don't have an official mercury manual. Have a... selco?

Only reason I'm concerned is I've heard a couple of people say lithium grease is a bad idea because it won't come out easily.

Thanks for the help. Trying to seat the pistons tomorrow

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

I rebuilt my 78 90hp inline 6 and used grease to hold the needle bearings in place and she runs like a champ,I would say (Not a problem buddy).

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Ah, I don't have an official mercury manual. Have a... selco?

Only reason I'm concerned is I've heard a couple of people say lithium grease is a bad idea because it won't come out easily.

Thanks for the help. Trying to seat the pistons tomorrow

Having an OEM Merc manual and just purchased Selco, I like my new Selco much better.

---------------

On the grease question, we ARE talking about oil in a soap carrier that is used to lubricate moving parts aren't we. That's the same thing the oil added to the gasoline on 2 cycle engines does. So what if it doesn't wash it out, or what if it does. I have lubed many engine bearings with grease, usually Lubriplate 105 but have used others, since my first DRY engine rebuild on a 1949 Mercury 110 hp flathead V8 taught me THAT YOU DON'T DO THAT.....never had a problem since....but I have had a problem learning that OB engines had needle bearings that if you didn't secure them with something (lithium grease???) they would fall out and scatter to hellscreations and you were thereby in big trouble.

My 2c, HTH,

Mark

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I use transmission assembly grease as it has a low melting point and dissolves with petroleum ....

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class

Vasoline............it's extremely cheap and melts as soon as you fire the engine.

Better than that.... the looks you get, cruising thru the store in a greasy T-shirt with a twelve pack and a huge tub of petrpleum jelly...........priceless

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Vasoline............it's extremely cheap and melts as soon as you fire the engine.

Better than that.... the looks you get, cruising thru the store in a greasy T-shirt with a twelve pack and a huge tub of petrpleum jelly...........priceless

I thought about that as I have 2 large tubs of it on the work bench and actually would work better than 105 as it is of thicker viscosity. On the beverage of choice, I live in the country and it's a long way to the beverage store so mine comes in a 30 pack. Grin

But back to the original question. Sooner or later it will wash out and gets washed out with fuel mix so I see no problem.

Mark

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I heard of some old time racers that built the T2x motors would submerge the powerhead in kersoene and have a gear motor slowly rotate it for hours to wash them out and and seat the rings..Man I miss them days.. 150XS with race stacks, T2 and T2x motors, the F1 races in Knoxville, Merc rep's getting in fights and getting thrown in "pokey",St Louis grand prix and Bill & Mike Seebold, Roark Summerford,Earl Bentz......man I am getting old:(

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

Not to get off topic but I went up to the cash register with 4 tubs of vasaline and the lady at the register gave me a look as if to say (your gonna need alot more than that at your age).I know what your taliking about (age) Jeff.LMAO.Anyway I used plain old grease worked for me.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Not to get off topic but I went up to the cash register with 4 tubs of vasaline and the lady at the register gave me a look as if to say (your gonna need alot more than that at your age).I know what your taliking about (age) Jeff.LMAO.Anyway I used plain old grease worked for me.

Yessss. Interesting looks we seniors get at the cash registers and when having to ask for certain things that the (female) pharmacist mate has to get for you out of a locked cabinet, especially when she picks up the wrong item.....penny for her thoughts.

Yes, all pistons have pins and some kind of lube is required for them to function as designed.....see, I didn't hijack the thread. Grin,

Mark

ray 6688

Seaman

I find that butter is best,because before you close up the engine you can get
the dog to lick it off.

Well you started it!

sschefer

Rear Admiral

A lot of people use different methods and different greases. Merc sells the correct grease and you should use that. If I remember correctly, Lithium grease is not advised. If you're not racing the motor than you probably don't have to worry but I might suggest soaking the pistons in two stroke oil overnight just for good measure.