Mercury inline 6, Distributor setting

Hi first post here from Australia.

I have put a new powerhead on my Mercury Inline 6 150hp, It was a bare long block so I
have to interchange all my original timing gear etc, Question in reference to the initial Distributor setting, I have cylinder 1 a TDC and the flywheel lined up with Marks, where do I line up the belt pulley so the dizzy is at #1 also? It runs on a keyway and there is a dot marked on the outside do I line this up with another dot??
Any help would be really helpfull I have no manual, Is there a page someone can email me in reference: to this. Many thanks:)

MercMan82

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury inline 6, Distributor setting

Take the cap off the pulley and there should be an arrow. What year?

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes there is an arrow, Where does it need to be positioned if everything else is lined up with #1?
I believe it is a 76mdl, Thanks again

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

When the flywheel is set to TDC using the timing pointer, the cast arrow should point to a dot (or 3 verticle dots) on the timing decal. You remove the timing belt to adjust it.

Before you change anything, you might make sure the timing pointer is set corrrectly. Sounds like a Merc manual is a good idea.

Thanks for the help it all lined up perfect!!

Could anyone help me with torque specs for Flywheel hub nut/ Flywheel bolts, And the inner exhaust plate bolts??

merc850

Commander

Here are the torque values850-torque.jpg

G'day,
Thanks very much for that info, If I could buy you a beer I would:D
Must say this site is great info for all boaties, Wish we had one like this in Oz, Thanks again