Starter Issues Mariner 90hp 3cyl 2cycle 1998

tagtwo

Recruit
After a 3 week lull I went to start motor (had been in water all that time) and got only a quarter crank from starter engaging. Cable connections were tight and clean, and and battery was at full charge. Continued to turn starter key and engine turned over and started. Ran engine for about 2 hours straight without any stop/restarts. The next day attempted to start engine and repeatedly got only quarter crank from the starter. Finally gave up. In pulling cables off of battery terminals, both were very hot. My conclusion is that the starter is toast and I have ordered a replacement Arco starter. My questions are (1) How difficult a job will it be for me to replace the starter? (2) What else should I be replacing at the same time besides the starter? (3) What tips do you have for installation such as greasing and ensuring that the starter shaft engages correctly?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Starter Issues Mariner 90hp 3cyl 2cycle 1998

Starter replacement is a straightforward job, remember to disconnect the battery ground cable before anything just to be sure any errant tool contact anywhere will not cause any sparking.

The replacement starter is already lubed during manufacture and needs no further lube, the drive gear and shaft should be DRY, and oil or grease added here tends to collect dust/dirt and eventually impare smooth function. Dry film lubricants may be used sparingly.

Ensure the starter and mounting contact points are clean so as to make a good ground connection.

Starters fail from heat, often caused by low battery voltage. Check your battery, check the water of each cell, add distilled water if necessary, if voltage is low, charge the battery with a low amp charger. Once fully charged, test the voltage before starting, then test again while running at 1800 to 200 RPM, the voltage should show higher, indicating the charging system is working.