New to me 1993 25HP Mercury

denL

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I bought a 13ft Whaler with a 25HP Mercury. The Mercury serial number is OD263427 which I determined to be a 1993 (I think). The motor is electric start and has no controls. Do I need to look for a specific Mercontrol or Quicksilver control box? I noticed some of the ebay boxes say they have battery cables but my motor already has what I believe are the battery cables. Thanks for looking.

will941s

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New to me 1993 25HP Mercury

Most Quicksilver boxes are pretty universal, obviously you don't need to spend extra on one with a T$T switch...due to your motor not having it. Unless you added a aftermarket tilt and trim system. Non T&T boxes will just have the standard black motor electrical connector, ones with T&T will have the same connector, just with 2 extra wires hanging off the connector. If you get one of those, just put the extra wires out of the way. Cables are the same. I think the best one to get would be a Commander 2000 series, it's a standard side mount control box with the ignition swith built in. Just mount it, hook up the cables to the motor, plug up the electrical connector, wire to a battery with your motor's cables and off you go. They make the Commander boxes with or without the T&T switch built into the handle.

denL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you. I'll look for this box.

denL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I keep missing out on the Quicksilver Commanders with a key switch built in but I found one on Ebay without the key. Is it possible to add a key switch and mount it separately or should I keep looking? Thanks!

denL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks. It makes more sense now.