1971 mercury 80 hp 800 bogging when put into gear... cleaning carb trubble

macmeeezzz

Cadet
okay so my 71 80 hp mercury outboard was running great!!!! very great until one day i took her to the lake and it started bogging when put into gear all of a sudden.. i could not figure out the problem .. everytime i took it out it would bogg alot when i put it into gear.. i replaced the fuel filter on fuel line.. and its new gas always.. it also was a little hard to start when cold.. so i took off the two carbs and cleaned them with cleaning fluid and dipped it in the cleaning fluid.. while cleaning and remounting i accidently broke the spring on the float.. also the fuel bowl cover's levers i could not figure out.. i have the manual just kinda confused.i would like to know what i can do to get my boat running right... can i use this float without the spring.?? what do u think i should do as i am new to working on boat motors

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1971 mercury 80 hp 800 bogging when put into gear... cleaning carb trubble

When you took the carbs apart to clean them you should have ordered a rebuild kit for each carb. You should also order new floats, and a new needle and seat for each carb. The parts are cheap and worth the money. Don't worry about the float spring, a new float is cheap and will have a brand new spring in the float all ready to go.

You cant use the float without the spring because it allows the float to press on the carb lever arms and seal the needle and seat. There should be two arms, a long and a short. The long one should have a small bend in the very end, and the short would should have a wider, flat end. The long arm is supposed to go on first, and it should make contact with the needle. The short arm goes on after it. If you hold the carb bowl lid upright, you will see the short arm and the long arm drop down. The short arm has a part on the opposite end that stops it from falling any further, and this allows it to catch the long arm at a certain location, thus allowing the needle to drop down so it is not creating a seal any longer. Then, fuel will fill the bowl, and the float will rise up as more fuel enters the bowl. When the bowl gets to its full level, the spring on the float will contact the short lever, pushing it up. The short arm pushes the long arm up also, and the long arm pushes the needle back into the sealed position. This will stop the flow of fuel into the bowl, and the carb will not leak any fuel. Sometimes, the float will become "sunk," which means it has a pinhole or crack that allowed fuel to leak inside the float, which inhibits its ability to float, and rise up to seal off the needle and seat.

This being said, it is important and a good idea to replace both your floats and both needle and seat for each carb. The needles can become worn down sometimes and wont seal off. It is less likely but why not replace it when you have the carb apart? Also replace any gaskets on your carb with the new gaskets in the rebuild kit. Keep in mind, floats are sold separately, and so is the needle and seat. The rebuild kit contains gaskets and o rings and things of that sort. All these parts are best found at your merc dealer. Or you can call a dealer and have them get the correct part numbers for you if you are unsure, and you can order them from crowleymarine.com or wherever else you find them. Good luck.

macmeeezzz

Cadet

thank you.. i have since bought new floats.. needle and seat. with gaskets. i put new float in bowls and new needles with seat on bowl cover. everything seems to be ok.. i will put it on and see if everything worked out ok.. anything else i should be looking for adjustment wize? also the new kit came with some new fuel filters but they didnt look like the ones i had in my carbs.. the book said they are obsolite. but i put them in anyways because they are brand new out the pack. are they still as good?

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

They are probably fine. It is good to replace them. The only other thing I can think of carb related is adjusting the richness screw. If you removed it to clean it, you will need to readjust it. The process for that is in your manual. It needs to be done in forward gear with the boat on the water.

macmeeezzz

Cadet

thank you.. any idea how fast my 80hp should go? its on a 18ft skiff.. also what can i do to keep this motor running perfect for the future.. i really like this outboard and i wana keep it tip top

Mi duckdown

Commander

YES. buy an OEM Mercury service/repair Manual. OEM only. not the other ones.
Plus tide to the dock. in forward and readjust the idle.

boomhire

Recruit

my motor is 1978 mercury 115 it is hard to start but when i get it started i let it warm up then take it out it only goes above idle speed then after 20 min it takes off fine but is like this each time it is started any help please?