Timing 175 mariner 1985

fisherman81654

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Serial# A137316
I have (a ) manual,its in pretty rough shape,so I don't know who made it.
Anyway,it says in the manual to set cranking timing to 22 degress BTDC to obtain 20 BTDC AT WOT.
Anyone know for sure that this is correct,Sure,I want it to run great,but I don't want to blow the engine and if that is the correct setting ,should I go a little bit more or less on the safer side.
I had a idle module that I disconnected because I heard when they short out,your motor gets fried.
thats why I need to set the timing. I read in a post where someone said to take off the prop before cranking.
Is this necessary? This is the first time that I have timed any thing.

Thanks.....

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Timing 175 mariner 1985

Those settings are good.

Disconnect the throttle cable, use a string, zip tie, or wire to hold the throttle and timing lever WOT.

Spark plugs OUT, wires grounded, saves work/load on the starter and battery, Disconnect black w/yellow kill wire from switchboxes, crank with remote starter button.

fisherman81654

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Timing 175 mariner 1985

Those settings are good.

Disconnect the throttle cable, use a string, zip tie, or wire to hold the throttle and timing lever WOT.

Spark plugs OUT, wires grounded, saves work/load on the starter and battery, Disconnect black w/yellow kill wire from switchboxes, crank with remote starter button.
Ya man,did the trick,it was set to 17 dregrees,adjusted it to 22 degrees and now when I give it full throtle,it takes the fuel no delay at all,jumps up on plane again! I have been workn on this boat for a month and a half,I tell ya,when you neglect problems on a boat ,they sure add up.Finally,I think I am done.
Now its time to fish.
Thanks a bunch CharlieB! and Crew!